Thread: Any way to get out of a Sky contract?

Default Any way to get out of a Sky contract?

Hey guys,

When we moved into our rented house here we stupidly signed up for the basic Sky digital TV package. Since then we've discovered there is nothing worth watching on any of those channels, and we were just as good with the free channels. We cant afford to upgrade to a better package, nor can we afford to pay $50 a month for TV we dont watch, and especially because the service/quality is not very good!

Has anyone heard of a way to get out of the contract with out it costing us hundreds? Somehow try to argue the quality of channels and reception is not up to scratch? Its probably wishful thinking but thought I'd ask! I know with some things bought over the internet theres a 30 day returns period, should be the same for these services!

Did you get the dish etc installed or was it already there? I suspect you will struggle to get out of the contract. You could try asking what would happen if you move house? Or just explain that you think it's too expensive and there isn't much on. Beware that if you want to cancel at the end of your contract you still need to give 30 days notice (i.e after 11 months).

In the 90's in the UK Sky used to cut people off if they went 2 months overdue. Then they would eventually sell the debt onto a company who would try to recover the money. Whatever happened with that, a few months later they would start mailing people with offers to return.

How long have you had it, and how did you get it (i.e. did Sky cold-call you and say, "Do you want Sky?" Or did you receive an unsolicited brochure from them in your mailbox?)

There is a seven-day cooling off period in NZ under certain situations, but I'm not sure whether or not this would apply in your case: check out the details here.

Looking at the SKY TV site itself, the following question appears under their online help section:

What are the charges if I cancel my domestic subscription before the end of the 12 month contract?

The application of a minimum term for domestic subscribers is based on the install fee.

The standard install fee is set at $299.00 (as at 1 Dec 2004) and does not attract a minimum term.

Any install or reconnect fee below the standard fee does attract a minimum term.

Any sale or reconnect charging less than $299.00 entered from this date will have a 12 month term attached to the agreement.

Termination of the subscription agreement within the 12 month term will be deemed a breach of that agreement, and a breach charge will be placed on the account.

The breach charge is proportionate to the length of term remaining on the contract, and so equal to the difference between the standard joining fee and the actual price paid multiplied by the length of term left in months.

e.g., Paid $99, then cancelled after 4 months.

so penalty is ($299 less $99) x 8/12's = $133.33.

another example, paid $49, cancelled after 6 months.

so penalty is ($299 less $49) x 6/12's = $125.00
    It looks like those figures are very out of date, but it's worth calling them to see what they say.

You can cancel the "basic" package and pay a smaller amount for just the free-to-air channels. One of my colleagues does that reasonably regularly as she gets the full package including basic, sports and movies during school holidays but cancels them during term time. They don't advertise that you can remove the basic channels though!
    Last edited by James 1077; 16th September 2009 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    You can cancel the "basic" package and pay a smaller amount for just the free-to-air channels. One of my colleagues does that reasonably regularly as she gets the full package including basic, sports and movies during school holidays but cancels them during term time. They don't advertise that you can remove the basic channels though!
    aaah...that's interesting, good to know, thanks!

Yes, we have tv1, tv2, tv3, and prime. It costs just over $18 per month.
    Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    Yes, we have tv1, tv2, tv3, and prime. It costs just over $18 per month.
    Gran
    Yes we changed to that package now, funny thing is the picture quality isn't any better with sky, oh well.....