Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

Default Books

I'm moving back to NZ after 6 years in the UK. And I've never really noticed this before but are books seem really expensive in New Zealand. Was looking at getting a copy of 'Jamie at Home' as a gift. On Amazon.co.uk it's on at £15 whereas on fishpond.co.nz it's on at $70.98.

At the current exchange rate $70.98 = £30! Twice as much as Amazon. Even with shipping to NZ Amazon only comes to £23!

Has anyone else noticed this? Are books cheaper in shops than online?

I like reading. I'm worried.

Books are really expensive in New Zealand.

I have used The Book Depository for buying books a few times - it is a UK company, but worldwide shipping is free, so it often works out cheaper than Amazon once the cost of shipping is taken into consideration. (Jamie at Home is £18.88 on The Book Depository at the moment.)

Because I read a LOT of books, and I read fast, these days I don't ever buy anything till I've read it and am then certain I will have long-term use out of it. I know some people like to own every book they read so this may not help, but... I sussed out the libraries in Auckland and Waitakere, and they are very good.

I'm a library freak. There isn't enough room in the house to buy all the books I love! And the library stores them so nicely for when I want them

My OH is a book worm & he uses the library for his & we both also go to used book stores

I second on the Book Depository. Will be getting some more via them this month.
    Libraries are pretty decent IMO though.
    If you hunt around there are ok secondhand shops as well.

One of OH's kiwi co-workers said that books are so expensive because Whitcoulls effectively has a monopoly, somehow they have a contract with/own BordersNZ and other retailers so that books are basically a fixed price. Not sure I see how that works, or if it's true, but it's a possible explanation.

Most people I know buy books online from overseas due to the rediculous pricing here.

The reason for the prices here is an Australian law to protect Aussie publishers. As NZ doesn't have the critical mass to import books itself it is reliant on Australian distributors who have to buy at inflated prices from Australian publishers.

Personally I think that there is a market for a company to import into NZ and sell through the internet to Australia GST free and with far lower costs of the books!

2nd hand book shops all the way and book fairs as well as libraries new books are a treat and there is also trade me!

Cheers Guys - sounds like the book depository is the way to go. Also have very fond memories of Smiths Secondhand Bookshop in Christchurch, I hope that is still there!

Quote Originally Posted by TimAck View Post
    Cheers Guys - sounds like the book depository is the way to go. Also have very fond memories of Smiths Secondhand Bookshop in Christchurch, I hope that is still there!
    It was there in 2007...if that's any help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast