Thread: Getting through customs

Question Getting through customs

Hubby and I will be flying in at the end of October or early November. We'll be taking as much luggage onto the plane as possible, mostly clothes, some shoes, jewelry and things like that. How extensively do they review the items you bring on the plane? I believe we will go through the NZ citizen line as my hubby is a kiwi, so I'm guessing that will help. Its been a long time since I've done any international flying, so I'm just trying to figure out how strict they are at the airport. I understand they will scrutinize our personal items we are shipping pretty closely, but wasn't sure if it was the same way at the airport or not. Thanks!!

The Kiwi line only applies to passport control - not to customs.

For customs you will have to complete a form to provide information as to whether you are carrying food, camping gear etc or if you have been on a farm in the last X weeks (can't remember what it is).

All bags are sniffed by dogs for food and drugs and all go through X-Ray machines on your way out.

You need to make sure any boots and shoes are clean of mud and that you declare any food items you bring in. I've never had an issue with food as they are generally OK if it is in its original packaging and, provided you declare it, there are no penalties if you aren't allowed it!

I personally think that they spend a lot more time looking at your bags at the airport than they do your container contents.

As long as you tell them on the form what you have it should be okay. I brought food with me the last time I came back, they just ask you to open your suitcase, look at what you brought and off you go. Very simple and you even get to by-pass the x-ray machine queue which can get a bit long at times. I was out quicker than some others

In excess baggage we brought pots and pans and plates and flatware and clothing, shoes, jewelery (I recommend keeping it in your carryons if it's really nice), books, DVDS, spices, macaroni and cheese, a bicycle, guitars, a flute, and more

I was on a student visa and my husband a work visa. We had a detailed list of everything we brought with us. They just asked if it was for personal use (which we truthfully answered that it was) and then biosecurity looked at our hiking boots and bicycle tires, then let us go, but because we had so many bags the process took a long time and we missed our connecting flight (but the bicycle made it on somehow), but we were just put onto the next one.

Good to know! Thanks for all the advice! We won't have excess baggage, just the allowed amount, so hopefully it won't slow us down too much.

I pretty much walked through customs. the guy took my form, stamped my passport and that was that. No questions whatsoever. Was very easy.