Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cockroaches

Default Cockroaches

Have been in NZ for 6 days and have just had 2 horrible days in Tauranga

we fled a bach after finding a cockroach in our daughters bed yesterday

This evening we have found 2 cockroaches in the very nice clean motel that we escaped to.

We heard yesterday that cockroaches are quite bad in Tauranga.

Is the south island any better (christchurch), my wife is all set to go home if she sees another one, as such I am wondering whether to head south before I start work and before we sign a contract on a rental house here.

will have to try and find out what this would mean for my residents Visa, whether another nurse job would allow us to stay, when the visa was gained through having a job here

Many thanks

Laurie

We get a few cockroaches in our house in Auckland...absolutely hate them but they are a part of NZ. Have heard they are bad around Tauranga as they arrived into NZ through the port years ago and have spread across NZ (they are not NZ natives).
    Someone may correct me on this as only saying what my NZ MIL advised!
    Wait til you find a Weta! All part of the joy of leaving blighty I guess....worth it for the nice sunny summers.

you can buy a spray at bunnings etc that you put around the outside of your entrances to prevent them entering the house. you can also spray indoors and use a robocan for each zone. they cant hurt you but i know they can freak you out!

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyF View Post
    (they are not NZ natives).
    There are two types of native cockroaches in NZ, the Black cockroach and Native bush cockroaches (15 species).

see Cockroaches.

Ian

Robocan should sort them as we had a few but touch wood nothing since, we get Weta outside hiding in the BBQ cover, not nice but better than white tailed which I found 1 of the other day, think our architect or builder bought it in, will be having words beforte he sets foot in our place again
    Get to Bunnings or Woolworths for a robocan hopefully it will sort you out

Quote Originally Posted by brumnurse View Post
    Is the south island any better (christchurch), my wife is all set to go home if she sees another one, as such I am wondering whether to head south before I start work and before we sign a contract on a rental house here.

will have to try and find out what this would mean for my residents Visa, whether another nurse job would allow us to stay, when the visa was gained through having a job here

Many thanks

Laurie
    From the link I posted it would appear that cockroaches can be found throughout NZ but more predominant in the warmer parts.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never seen any around Wellington.

Ian

Just get a Robocan (Raid Automatic) they keep almost all insects away. We turned ours off over winter but it has come back on now after the first insects started to appear in the house again!

The problem with cockroaches is definitely bigger the warmer it gets- we lived in Dunedin for 4 years and haven't seen one..., here in Blenheim there are roaches around, but they usually stay outside, apparently they live in the wood (like the woodshed). Unfortunately our cat thinks it is great to catch them and bring them inside...

They are not the same as the nasty type that can breed and fill your house in Britain or Europe. They are outdoor bush roaches that have strayed in by accident. It is not the sign of a dirty house. They are not like the German or American cockroaches that are so hated and reviled. They are harmless and probably want to get out of the house as much as you want them to. It's not worth leaving over.

If it's any consolation , we've been in Tauranga for 8 months and haven't seen a single one.

Where abouts were you staying & where are you looking to rent ?
    Last edited by janrzm; 19th September 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast