Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T.V's

So - the verdict is ...

... as long as you get Sky then the UK tv will work???

Yep that's it

Now wondering if our "dutch" TV's will work over there :? (Philips)

I bought my 2 yr old "Schnieder" (Asda) widescreen TV over and it worked fine, sound & vision.

Bobby.

Default TV's Voltage and tuning

Hi

I believe most TV's have a transformer inside them so actually do notrun at mains voltage inside. I have a US 110 TV running on UK mains by using a transformer. Most TVs are the same and use auto set up. You need to turn off remembered setting and let it find the new ones. This information is on the internet if you use google often it it is a series of key presses on the remote to change the settings to different countries. The information is often in the tech section no one reads.

Help this is useful.

Fraser

Anybody any idea about a 42 inch plasma tv??

Firstly would the removal companies take it, would it work in NZ.

How much are plasma tv's out there to buy.

Bit early to ask these questions as we haven't even filled an EOI in yet but there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many questions to ask! I already spend hours on this site reading all the info you lot have put on.

It's a fantastic site!

I'd bring it - the shipping companies can ship almost anything - they crated our large wide-screen TV's up. Cost a bit more but they arrived in good condition.

Plasma screens start around $9999 if I remember rightly - please correct me if I'm wrong its been a few months since I was electrical goods shopping.

Default Plasma screens

Plasma screens are now $4999 42 inch, in The Warehouse aprox $2890.

There's hope for PAL TV users at the bottom of this post (after the tech babble, so bear with me). :mrgreen:

With bringing TV's or VCR's there are 2 issues apart from the mains voltage:

- TV system (PAL/NTSC)
    - Tuner (to pick the TV signals out of the air)

First, the TV system.
    Europe uses PAL, with 25 frames a second and 625 lines.
    The U.S and Japan use NTSC, 30 frames a second and 500-something lines and a different color coding scheme.
    To convert one TV system to another is quite hard, so when your TV is NTSC it is useless to bring it to NZ. Maybe your TV can be fitted with some European PAL circuit board for the same model, but I'd only do that when your TV was really expensive, because otherwise it might be just as expensive to do as buying a new TV in the first place. Newer european TV's can play PAL as well as NTSC, but I suspect most American TV's can play only NTSC and not PAL. It's worth to take a look in your manual to check this, though.

Second, the tuner.
    Different countries use different frequencies for their radio and TV signals, so your European TV might not be able to pick up the signals from the air (like someone would have their radio station at 122 FM, not able to set your radio to that frequency). Or, when the frequencies are the same they might use different ways of encoding the sound (AM or FM, digital or analog). So there's quite a chance your TV won't work for that. VCR's won't work either for receiving programs, you can still use them to play back PAL tapes though.

HOWEVER, there's hope for owners of PAL TV's with a video-in connection (scart plug or yellow cinch/phono plug). You can buy a VCR in NZ, and connect it to your PAL TV through the video connection (NOT the RF antenna cable! Some really cheap VCR's don't have a video connection, only a RF connection, so check for that). In that way you can use the VCR as a tuner. You would then have to watch TV through your VCR, but it beats watching nothing at all, dunnit?
    As someone mentioned earlier they don't use scart in NZ, so before you leave for NZ buy a converter plug at your local TV shop (about 7 Pounds, 10 Euros). These plugs convert the scart connection to a cinch/phono connection, and then you can use NZ cables.

So if you have a PAL TV which you're very satisfied about, bring it along. Small TV's I would ditch and buy new ones in NZ.
    VCR's are useless but to play PAL tapes through the video connection.
    DVD recorders are useless too for recording, DVD players will work fine, if they can play back PAL and if you can set the region code to zero (but that's another thread)

Good luck!

PS anyone from Holland had any luck with picking up the NZ TV signals from the air with a Dutch TV? :smile

Erwin

That was very understandable techno babble. Thanks even I understood that

Jo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast