Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: non chemical alternative for fly control??

Default non chemical alternative for fly control??

I try to stay away from chemicals--especially pesticides. (there are strong links to childhood cancer)

I know that pyrethrins are supposed to be natural but they are not the only thing in the can.
    for example: "The active ingredients contained in Raid Automatic Systems are natural pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide (insecticide synergist) or pyrethroids (indoor/outdoor refill). Pyrethrins are extracted from chrysanthemum daises and are nature’s own protection against insects with a unique potency that repels/kills insects. Pyrethroids are synthetic insecticides based on Pyrethrins"

Last year, I made my husband return the can he bought because I just don't like the idea of us breathing in these chemicals all day. I told him we would just "deal with nature"
    Of course, I had no idea the amount of flies (and fly poop GROSS!!) that I would have to deal with---it was just TOO MUCH!!

NEVER AGAIN!!

But what are my alternatives?

As of now, I am planning to keep the windows closed and run the air conditioner.

I would prefer to open the windows. But I can't deal with that much "nature" again.

as a side note--why are there no screens on the windows in NZ?????

I guess I should ask the question differently:

has anyone used fly traps? the ultraviolet ones?

do they work?

does ANYTHING work???

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    "The active ingredients contained in Raid Automatic Systems are natural pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide (insecticide synergist) or pyrethroids (indoor/outdoor refill).
    Probably not much help, but our Raid states 100% natural pyrethrins so doesn't contain the synthetic version at all (still contains piperonyl butoxide).

So at least there are more 'natural' versions out there.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Probably not much help, but our Raid states 100% natural pyrethrins so doesn't contain the synthetic version at all (still contains piperonyl butoxide).

So at least there are more 'natural' versions out there.

Ian
    The piperonyl butoxide is the real problem. It is what kills the bugs. The pyrethrins just knock it down and paralyze it. And, also, even 100% natural pyrethrin is still a neurotoxin and still affects humans.

From Holistic Health: "Piperonyl butoxide is a suspected carcinogen and believed to be highly toxic to the liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal, reproductive and nervous systems. It is suspected of being connected to symptoms and conditions such as coma, convulsions, renal damage, hyperexcitability, prenatal damage, vomiting, weight loss, anorexia and many more. It too is toxic to birds, fish and other aquatic life."

My children are very young. I go out of my way to keep chemicals out of their food etc so it seems short-sighted to squirt it in the house 24 hours a day!! Plus, we have some guinea pigs in the house (and they are really just rats with fancy hair dos) I am afraid for their health as well.

I see ultraviolet light fly traps (haven't tried--do they work?), mesh fly trappers (where the flies just buzz around inside) and fly strips. (these didn't work last year)

I am already starting to see flies in the house and I am starting to get VERY NERVOUS about what is coming.

YUCK!!

I was hoping that someone else has conquered this problem already and has some insight???

How about a good ole fly swatter GG??? My kids love chasing flies brandishing one of those in their hand (just watch your precious ornaments)!!

Either that, or a dog. My new baby Lab, Max, seems to be an expert at catching flies/moths you name it. Once they have been brought down and are lying helplessly on the carpet, he gobbles them up!!! Yuck!!!!

You can get fly screens made for your windows - any window manufacturer should be able to do them for you. I've been on the lookout for those fly curtains you can get to hang over open doors as well - has anyone seen any of those for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    You can get fly screens made for your windows - any window manufacturer should be able to do them for you. I've been on the lookout for those fly curtains you can get to hang over open doors as well - has anyone seen any of those for sale?
    Do you mean those flappy ones made of multi-coloured strips of plastic? Like in 70s hair salons?

Last year we bought two electronic battery operated tennis bats, at least that is what they looked like. They worked if you cornered the fly in a small room, but in a large open plan area - I was fighting a losing battle. I bought some "cubes" they had fly killer on the inside and were supposed to smell nice to the flies and they helped because when we came home from holiday we had 24 dead flies near it. But as soon as we arrived home and started cooking again even more of their friends arrived it was gross.

In the end we went with one of the robo can things and it was fantastic. I hear everything about it being bad for you but I can honestly say it saved my sanity.

By the way we have fly guards on the bedroom windows too, I left a gap on one side accidentally and got the shock of my life when a praying mantis fell on me!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    Do you mean those flappy ones made of multi-coloured strips of plastic? Like in 70s hair salons?
    Yes, that's the type. 70s hair salon is just the look I'm going for...

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    I saw something like this at the store called Payless. It was strips of PVC (in green and blue, iirc)
    It looked like a shower curtain that had been shredded.

I think we will be getting some for the doors.

I like the theory but am not sure if they work very well.

And, Arwen, (sorry--multi quote is too hard)--the fly swatter turns them into SMASHED flies--which is even grosser than flying flies.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast