Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A man who died because of his passion for New Zealand

Default A man who died because of his passion for New Zealand

Found out today that a a friend of mine passed away on the 9th of Sept. Steve is a friend of mine, whom I met thru my colleague. Although I met him only a few times, he made an impression on me like no one else has.

A great soul, an instantly likable guy who will truly be missed by many in UK as well as here in New Zealand. Although I am disappointed the path he took, I cannot know what he was feeling that lead him to take his own life.

The relation of his death to New Zealand and Immigration is in the article (link) below.

Rest In Peace Steve Mitchell and we will miss you a lot. Please include him in your prayers.

Here is the full story who might be interested in reading:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1393257

How tragic.

What a sad sad story.

I hope he finds some peace now.

Sorry, but he didn't die because of "his Passion for New Zealand".

He died because he had depression, it was out of control, and he didn't get the help he needed to deal with it.

Claiming that he died because of "his Passion for New Zealand" trivialises what was really going on with him, and it doesn't do him or anyone else any favours.

Depression is a serious illness which affects a significant percentage of the population. People need to understand that it's not circumstances which cause people who suffer from depression to take their own lives, it's their inability to cope with those circumstances.

SAVE's (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) Depression Checklist offers a list of symptoms which, when several are combined together, can be indicative of a need to seek assistance from a doctor.

If you or someone you know exhibits/experiences more than a few of these, I encourage you to take that step to seek assistance.

I'm sorry that this young man felt that things were so hopeless, it's a terrible waste. I only hope that others will take the sad news about him as a way to encourage open discussion about depression.

what a sad story, what a pity. condolence to his family.

Thanks for the support Jolie!!!

You did not know the guy...I knew him...he travelled the world and he was absolutely in love with NZ specially with Wellington. His depression was because of the fact he could not live here because the visa was not renewed which I believe the article states this very clearly...so I suggest you re-read it again to get your thoughts in order.

So take it as how you may, but I know how a happy go lucky intelligent guy turned on himself once he knew he could not stay here. All thought I will never understand his passion for New Zealand, all I can say is he loved it more than life which his friend and I can attest to!

Here is his second passion: Photography

http://www.thefacialexpression.com/
    Last edited by qslinger; 23rd September 2009 at 07:38 PM.

It's a sad story, and it also shows the effect of one persons depression on a wider network of people. As someone that's suffered with depression myself, a desire to move to NZ and a photography hobby then I perhaps take particular note of this story.

What I would say is that what Jolie says is true, that it was the depression that led to the suicide, although there is a clear link to leaving NZ being the catalyst that drove the depression to new levels which saldy led him to take his own life.

I know when I'm 'down' then I can focus on the most bizarre and petty issue to cause a downward spiral, and so for him to have to leave NZ, a coutry that he clearly loved as can be seen by his photographs, then I can clearly see why the NZ link is there.

It's an emotive issue, and I don't think that any of the posts above are wrong, just emphasising different aspects.

Sorry to hear about your friend. We hope he has found peace now.
    Rest in peace steve mitchell our thoughts and condolences are sent to you and your family.
    Dianne and family x

What a sad story

I'm guessing by his age that he might have been on a WHV, which can't be renewed at all. I remember plenty of friends being devestated when theirs - for assorted countries - came to an end, though none with as much passion and depression as this poor man. For my cousin a similar issue resulted in him completely retraining as a carpenter in order to regain entry to Australia, which took years once you include the experience component!

That said, it could be the new (yet regular) story of NZIS not renewing temp visas. They don't have too of course, and being told "no" is not something that anyone wants to hear, but if nothing else I am thankful that more people don't feel so bad about immigration worries that they take this route.

RIP *hug*

Quote Originally Posted by qslinger View Post
    so I suggest you re-read it again to get your thoughts in order.

So take it as how you may, but I know how a happy go lucky intelligent guy turned on himself once he knew he could not stay here.
    My thoughts are well in order. What you need to understand about Depression is that often a person can be suffering from it, and the signs will not be blatantly obvious to most of the people who know that person -- until a triggering event pushes them over the edge.

These are the people about whom, once they take their own lives, everyone who knows them says, "He/she was always the happiest, funniest, most upbeat person! He/she wasn't depressed!" The people who experience this particular manifestation of depression are called "laughing depressives". I encourage you to Google it and learn more about it.

If anyone hasn't already looked at teh gallery then I'd recommend them to. Some great photos there over a wide range of styles (sports, events, portraits, landscapes). Says a lot about NZ life I think.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast