Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petite size clothes

Default Petite size clothes

Silly question, I am short and skinny, apart from buying children's clothes (which I don't want to do) where should I go shopping in Wellington? Or should I stock up before I move. I generally fit the infamous UK size 4/6 and US size 0/2. People seem to be really tall in NZ, I am a bit afraid I won't find anything to wear.

Thanks for the info.
    -Una

PS. How many more posts until I am a member?

You can get small sizes here but not short length trousers.

My advice is to stock up with lots of clothes AND SHOES before you leave and remember that a lot of UK stores ship to NZ, especially M&S

I think you will do just fine in NZ. It's been my observation that many of the stores here carry only tiny clothes. I'm 5'8" with an athletic (not chubby by any means) build, and I suspect that I would have difficulty finding something large enough to fit in many of the stores here.

I've noticed, when I go out with friends, that a huge percentage (no pun intended) of the women here wear clothes 2 or 3 sizes too small, and end up having rolls and bulges everywhere. I still haven't figured out whether it's because they're in denial about their true size, or whether they just can't find any clothes they like here which actually fit them.

Buy normal and send them to my wife to wash. Should fit fine after that.

Shop in Auckland? Bigger Asian community than Welly (as in more Asian people, not a community of bigger Asians... that would kind of defeat the object... oh, you know what I mean).

Stock up regardless of size; Wellington is not really a shoppers paradise...

I'm a shortie- 5 ft 3 ish - but don't have any more problems here in Auckland than I did in the UK. Colorado do short lengths and you can at least get trousers taken up. I think I paid $20 last time.

I'm 5'2" and I have needed to get every pair of trousers taken up here, as I haven't unpacked my sewing machine yet. I have found that a lot more shops here seem to do a size 8 and smaller, which I expect has a lot to do with the high asian population and demand for smaller sizes. However despite claims that the sizes are the same as the UK, I have found an 8 to be slightly more generous than i'm used to with Next/Fat Face etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie View Post

I think you will do just fine in NZ. It's been my observation that many of the stores here carry only tiny clothes. I'm 5'8" with an athletic (not chubby by any means) build, and I suspect that I would have difficulty finding something large enough to fit in many of the stores here.
    This must be an Auckland thing, there are plenty of large clothes in Wellington, not sure if they cover the really tall, but certainly cover the really big.

For the OP, will also reiterate that finding trousers / jeans with shorter legs is difficult in Wellington, unless you want to wear cut-offs of course

Ian

I'm a NZ size 6 which is a size I can't always find in the average shop.
    E.g. I can't buy clothes in shops like the Warehouse or Postie Plus as their smallest size is 8. Shops that do have my size are Esprit, Just Jeans and Glassons. There is the odd speciality shop but you have to look hard for them here in NZ.
    To anyone (whatever size you are) I would recommend to bring a truckload of clothes with you from UK or any other European country you are coming from.
    Since arriving here I have developed a bad case of 'Chinafobia'
    EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA AROUND HERE!!!

Hooray for online shopping, bring on European clothes and Italian shoes!

Lesly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast