Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is the liveable income in Auckland for a couple?

Default How much is the liveable income in Auckland for a couple?

Hi there!

My husband and I are planning to move to Auckland, however, we would like to know first how much monthly salary is enough for the two of us. He is looking for an employment prospect but we really have no idea how much is enough. We are coming from France and we are wondering if the move is worth it... giving up his job (he's tenured) and the social benefits we are enjoying right now. We would like to start our family soon and we think we will do better if we'll leave France. We just can't start and save here because the taxes are crippling us and the restrictions to have additional income are just unfair. Can anyone advice us? Please share with us your thoughts... they will help us greatly!

Thanks!

Cy & JC

There was a thread on just this thing (as it's a possible immigration question) Earlier this week. Of course it all depends on what you class as 'livable' - not starving, widescreen TV and Sky subscription or 2 holidays a year and a newish car each.

Without kids I was working on a household income of $70-80k before tax being a minimum. I think some others were happy to go a bit lower and I also remember a post form a forumite in Auckland with at least 1 young kid saying that with their household on $75k then although they managed it was tight, and another $10k would make life a lot easier.

Thanks Duncan!

We're planning to (at first) rent a 1-bedroom apartment and buy a 2nd-hand car, with internet and proper heating... just the basic stuff. Thank you again. I'll try to look at the other threads.

Cy

thanks!

You should go to ANZ Bank or National Bank website and there is a section which works out the average cost of living for an average couple.

Generally, I have found the NZ banks websites to be very useful for costing living expenses as we plan our move to NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben2008 View Post
    You should go to ANZ Bank or National Bank website and there is a section which works out the average cost of living for an average couple.

Generally, I have found the NZ banks websites to be very useful for costing living expenses as we plan our move to NZ.

http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person...s/sampexp.aspx

Cheers Ben

Quote Originally Posted by translate101 View Post
    and proper heating... just the basic stuff.
    Just a slight chuckle at that You might find getting a decent salary comes easier than finding a home with "proper" heating............ just any heating would be nice

If I moved again, I'd make sure to budget very realistically for the start up costs, which are hard to fund if you have little buffer in your income. In a year and a half we've paid for PR, bought two cars, furnished a house, had lots of guests, moved twice, had a baby and taken a couple of trips to Oz. It's all been really expensive.

I'm hoping we'll have some spare cash next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben2008 View Post

You could of course try out the Cost of Living in New Zealand calculator on the ENZ site

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast