Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abnormal medical findings - IVF and Cholesterol

Default Abnormal medical findings - IVF and Cholesterol

Hi Guys,

We are applying with my OH as the principal applicant and the medicals have come back today. His are fine but for mine, the doc has ticked significant/ abnormal findings:

Significant as we are currently undergoing IVF treatment
    Abnormal as cholesterol is outside the range at 5.3 (should be <5.0) and LDL is 3.5 (should be <3.0).

Does anyone know if these results are likely to be referred to the medical assessor? I've read on some threads about a 10% variance can sometimes be applied - has anyone any recent experience of this being used?

Any info would be great.

I can't comment upon the cholesterol results but as someone who has been there just wanted to wish you lots of luck with the IVF.

"I can't comment upon the cholesterol results but as someone who has been there just wanted to wish you lots of luck with the IVF."

and from us too.

Emma

Well I don't know about the IVF, but my OH had slightly high blood pressure so had to get the extra bloods including cholesterol, which was slightly elevated (not sure of the actual figure sorry) so his medicals were sent to the Medical Assessor, who obviously thought it wasn't a problem cos they approved his PR, it just meant it took slightly longer.

I think if your cholesterol is outside their specific 'normal' limits the doctor will have to tick the 'abnormal findings' box, so they will have to be sent to the medical asessor, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    Abnormal as cholesterol is outside the range at 5.3 (should be <5.0) and LDL is 3.5 (should be <3.0).
    In the absence of other risk factors these numbers are pretty close to the normal range. <3.0 is for a person with two risk factors--your doctor has done you a disservice by checking the abnormal box.

when i did my medical it came back with abnormal results on the white blood cell count, when the doctor called to say the results were back, he suggested waiting a few more weeks and go and repeat the test at the gps so i did that and it came back a bit higher and i submitted it and had no problems with it.
    Not sure how long it would take for the cholestrol to go down slightly.

good luck with the ivf

Yes, my bloods were sent to the medical assessor, my gp said they were normal levels but I think like yours the one was .3 out by their standards. Its been a month now...

Thanks guys for the support, its much appreciated. I read the medical handbook again last night and it does say to record a normal finding only if there isn't any history of operations/ ongoing treatments etc, lucky me I get a double-whammy!!

Fingers crossed - huge pile of paperwork is ready to be sent off tomorrow with the application, personally I feel sorry for the CO who has to go through it all!!

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    In the absence of other risk factors these numbers are pretty close to the normal range. <3.0 is for a person with two risk factors--your doctor has done you a disservice by checking the abnormal box.
    Having just had a routine cholesterol test in NZ (not for a medical), my GP told me that the standard used in NZ is LDL level should be < 2.0 and total cholesterol < 4.0. I think the UK uses 3.0 and 5.0, but a web site I looked at recently said that this is under review.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    Having just had a routine cholesterol test in NZ (not for a medical), my GP told me that the standard used in NZ is LDL level should be < 2.0 and total cholesterol < 4.0. I think the UK uses 3.0 and 5.0, but a web site I looked at recently said that this is under review.
    I'm guessing the doctor is refering to this document (table 10 on page 16): http://www.nzgg.org.nz/guidelines/01...009_update.pdf

The guideline recommends <2.0 mmol/L (that's about 77 mg/dL for my fellow Americans) for patients with "multiple risk factors". It does not make much sense to discuss a laboratory result for someone with multiple risk factors for cv disease on this forum, as that person would certainly be denied entry (with or without an abnormal lab value)...which was why I indicated that 3.5 mmol/L is close to normal in the absence of other risk factors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast