Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould in rentals

Default Mould in rentals

I've just discovered that one of our basement walls is covered in a yellow/orange mould. We run a dehumidifier upstairs but not on this level which is basically the garage and a stairway. I've scrubbed it off with bleach but suspect it'll be back.

So my main worry is that we'll lose our deposit cos of it- particularly if it spreads. Anyone had problems like this? Or is it just normal in Auckland? We rent direct from the owners who used to live here themselves so are quite particular. We have a months deposit down too.

Now that you've cleaned the wall off keep an eye on it, say once a week/fortnight to see if/when the mould returns - depending on how quick this process is will decide what action you will need to take, but for now, if it's clean and has not damaged any furniture etc you should be okay...

We had all that "black mold" issues in the US and it is dangerous for your health (and especially for kids). I am not saying that this mold is dangerous but it is GROSS and I would definitely complain about it to the owners and ask them to do something to remediate it.

I feel like mold is similar to pests---something that the owner of the property is responsible for keeping OUT. But, I am not sure that this is the way it is done in NZ?

I would be interested what others who better know the legal responsibilities of landlords have to say about the matter. Maybe call the Tenancy people?
    0800 TENANCY

To be honest, I would tell the landlords about it/ show them. If they are interested in keeping their property in order and not just keen on the money, they will definitely want to know, I suppose!?

We get mouldy stains on the bathroom ceiling, because there is no proper ventilation in the bathroom and the ceiling is wallpapered..., I told the landlords and they knew about the problem.., so we do our best to let fresh air in etc., but we still need to be able to take a shower. I wipe the stains off from time to time as thoroughly as possible, but since I cannot use any special detergent or such, they of course keep returning!

This could be a sign of damp from a leaky home? Is your house 1990-2000 built? Worth checking because if it is a Leaky Home, can cause all sorts of respiratory problems. Check out other posts about Leaky houses. Doesn't sound like normal damp. When Fungus growth appears time to get the agents to sort it as may be harmful. Not your responsibility, could explain why the owners don't live there?

Good luck with that.

This house is only two years old- the owners moved to the Middle East, so hopefully isn't leaky. It's a really nice place and we've been warm and dry all winter.

We're away for a couple of weeks so I'll see how it is when we get back. If it's nasty I'll let the owners know. There's not much we can do but clean I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I wipe the stains off from time to time as thoroughly as possible, but since I cannot use any special detergent or such, they of course keep returning!
    Have you tried this?
    Mildew and mould:

Banish black spots with one part vinegar or lemon juice to one part bicarbonate of soda. Apply and leave for one or two hours. Rinse off. It may need to be reapplied or left longer, depending on how severe your mould or mildew is.
    from http://www.herbsgardenshealth.com/household.htm

Of course that won't fix the problem itself, i.e. the dampness.

I would take some photos of the mould. If there is an inherant problem with the structure of the house which is leading to mould build up you can't be held liable or lose your deposit......it's not the same as bathroom mould that builds up as a result of daily activities which can be kept under control through regular cleaning and opening the window for ventilation.

it's not the same as bathroom mould that builds up as a result of daily activities which can be kept under control through regular cleaning and opening the window for ventilation
    I wish you could..., we have mould on the ceiling as I wrote before, but although we have the window open for long hours, use the heater to warm up the air (so it can absorb more humidity), the spots are coming back after a while. And since it is wallpaper, you can't even clean the ceiling properly!

If it offers any reassurance, the house we are in has PVC framed windows. Especially in the bathroom windows, the black rubber seals do develop mold growth from time to time.

I don't know the solution to rid such mold re-appearing when homes are built to "breath".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast