Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIM required?

Default LIM required?

Hello all,

Just a quick question - we're in the process of buying the house we are currently renting. Is it worth getting a LIM report?

Have asked around a few friends and work colleagues and the general consensus is that I'd just be paying for a council employee to check the council file and make sure permits and code of compliance are in place. We've already viewed the council file ourselves and can see there are permits and codes of compliance in place for what's on the land.

Would it just be a waste of money? Or does it tell you more than just this???

Thanks in advance

i wouldnt bother if youve checked the file yourself and feel confident you know what you are looking for

Depending on where you are and what the people in the office are like you can also ask a planning officer to walk you through the file, which can be useful.
    Last edited by Alan; 4th October 2009 at 09:15 PM.

The Lim reports at Waimak cover a lot more than the property file. They check the hazard register, Resource consents and properties surrounding yours amongst other things. It is personal choice, my two cents is; for the amount of money you are spending its worth the $170 to get as much info as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182 View Post
    The Lim reports at Waimak cover a lot more than the property file. They check the hazard register, Resource consents and properties surrounding yours amongst other things. It is personal choice, my two cents is; for the amount of money you are spending its worth the $170 to get as much info as possible.
    We pulled out of a deal due to something we discovered in the LIM report- and it was something that was contrary to what the selling agent was telling us...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182 View Post
    And a very good service it is too, especially the nice lady who texts you to say it's on it's way to the solicitors

We were glad of our LIM too.

It covers all the planning consent, boundaries - as well as things like liquifaction areas etc.

The orginal plans for our house that were submitted were different to what was built (house was reversed so that windows faced North). Turned out to have been later approved, but wasn't officially documented so was good to get it sorted prior to purchase.

I also pulled out of a house deal once I found out that all the internal renovations had been done without any permits. Worst of all was the fact that they did all the plumbing and electrical work themselves too and it was uncertified. House was probably a death trap so, much to the vendor's annoyance, I activated the 'get out' clause in my contract(cost me nearly $1000 with the solicitors/builders reports/LIM etc) so I honestly believe you should go into every house deal with your eyes wide open and all the documentation available!

Oh and remember to make any contract subject to various conditions including satisfactory builder's report.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    I also pulled out of a house deal once I found out that all the internal renovations had been done without any permits. Worst of all was the fact that they did all the plumbing and electrical work themselves too and it was uncertified. House was probably a death trap so, much to the vendor's annoyance, I activated the 'get out' clause in my contract(cost me nearly $1000 with the solicitors/builders reports/LIM etc) so I honestly believe you should go into every house deal with your eyes wide open and all the documentation available!

Oh and remember to make any contract subject to various conditions including satisfactory builder's report.
    wow- sounds familiar- wonder if it was the same house that we were looking at ? The house we made an offer on had electrical issues that made the house extremely unsafe (their "remedy" was to turn it off). Oh, and the inspector missed it as well. Thank goodness we got the LIM. Talk about dodging a bullet on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    And a very good service it is too, especially the nice lady who texts you to say it's on it's way to the solicitors

Twas a pleasure Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast