Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Times Between Cities

Wink Driving Times Between Cities

Hello New Zealanders,

I will be visiting NZ during the month of December and Plan to drive around.
    What will be a realistic driving time from Franz Joseph to Blenheim.?
    I get all kinds of numbers from diff websites/Maps. Please help.

Thanks
    Umas1082

I find www.wises.co.nz the most reliable for driving times around new zealand - google maps is good for driving directions but their times are often way out

The AA website is really useful and has a driving times calculator: www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

The Jasons website is helfpul too with planning your trip: www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/

Default Driving times in NZ

Thank you Guys/gals for the replies.
    However this is my crazy Itinerary

day 1 Arrival in Christchurch from US- ( Arrival in NZ, Leisure)
    day 2 Christchurch--- Kaikoura whale watch
    day 3 Christchurch--- Mt Cook---- Queenstown
    Day 4 Te anu ( Milford sound tour)
    day 5 Queenstown to Franz Joseph to Blenheim
    Day 6 Ferry Crossing to Wellington /leisure
    Day 6 Wellington--- Outskirts/Leisure
    Day 7 Wellington --- Taupo--- Rotorua
    Day8 Rotorua
    Day 9 Rotorua---- Auckland
    Day 10 Auckland
    Day 11 Back to US

Day 5 is what I am really worried about, and I have no Choice.
    am i nuts to do it this way. ?

Thanks, Suggestions will be appreciated .

Umas

You can probably do Queenstown via Franz Josef to Blenheim in one day, but it will be a looooong drive! And it is a bit of a waste if you just drive the whole time without any chance of seeing anything on the way!
    The same goes for Christchurch to Queenstown, especially via Mount Cook.

In my opinion it is too much to see for 11 days- and the distances you choose are too far away.

It might work if you arrive, let's say in Auckland, and drive south- but not as far as Queenstown, that is too long a drive. I also noticed that you plan to do a Milford Sound Tour on day 4 and then, on day 5, start from Queenstown, which means that you have to go back to Queenstown on the day of the tour to be able to start really early on the morning.

You will probably get a lot more replies- but I wouldn't want to do your tour, tbh!

Quote Originally Posted by umas1082 View Post
    day 1 Arrival in Christchurch from US- ( Arrival in NZ, Leisure)
    So you've got one day of "Leisure" before you get down to the hard work of your ordeal?

It seems pretty rushed to me - I certainly wouldnt be cramming as much into two weeks. One suggestion though - how about moving the Kaikoura visit. Spend a day less in Christchurch, then have a night in Kaikoura on the way up to Blenheim.

You could also fly into Milford from Queenstown - takes much less time than the drive and is a pretty amazing trip. One word of warning though, if you've got no scope for postponing activities to another day, this could be ruled out by weather conditions. Same with the whale watching I imagine.

Default Driving times

Thank you "Newarrival"
    for your frank opinion.

Yes, I am a bit worried about Day 4 and 5.
    But on day 4 I am taking a tour from Te anu, so no driving other than
    Te anu to Queenstown.
    Also, I am hoping that the drives will be very scenic and that is what I am looking for , not planning for any activity other than stops on the way.

Umas

Default Driving times

Yeah "Talisker"
    am certainly pushing it, I see what you mean.
    Can you give me some idea about average speed on Hwy#6 #63. Is it less than
    80Kmph. ?

I will probably need one more vacation right after i finish this one.

The average speed can be as slow as 60kmph, I guess- at least on all those smaller roads down south and on a lot of the roads when you go up the West coast! There will be campervans and other cars driving around and it is not always possible/ safe to pass them.
    From Queenstown to Te Anau it will take around 2 1/2 hours, so still quite a while....
    And yes, a lot of the driving will be very scenic and therefore worth the time, but, on the other hand, I find it difficult to drive and at the same take enjoy the scenery?!

The suggestion Talisker made to spend a night in Kaikoura on the way up to Blenheim sounds good to me, it might be difficult, though, if you plan to go up along the West coast.
    Very valid point he made regarding the weather.....

The driving in much of NZ is indeed scenic, and/but you need to allow for the fact that a great many of the roads, while designated as main roads, are winding and hilly (mountainous, really). You can have a look at places you're thinking of travelling by looking on Google Maps StreetView, to get an idea. And there are strict speed limits, backed up with speed cameras and hefty fines, even for foreign tourists.

Do you have any possibility of allowing flexibility, so that if you find you are tired out and/or you find you'd like to see more of somewhere, you could stay in place an extra day?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast