Thread: How long to drive from Taupo to Napier?

Default How long to drive from Taupo to Napier?

We are making this journey ourselves next week and are getting a bit worried....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2934...remains-closed

How long does it normally take to get from Taupo to Napier and what alternative routes could we take?

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    We are making this journey ourselves next week and are getting a bit worried....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2934...remains-closed

How long does it normally take to get from Taupo to Napier and what alternative routes could we take?
    It doesn't take too long - possibly a couple of hours.

The main thing is that if your tank is getting low then fill up in Taupo as there aren't any petrol stations along the way. Lots of fuel is used as you go up and down quite a bit as well as some tightish corners. Last time I did the drive we ended up spending the last half hour driving very economically indeed (no aircon, windows up, no unnecessary electrics on, neutral down hills etc)! The car ran out of fuel as we were coasting into the petrol station!

I would agree that it is about two hours.

Out of Taupo the first half of the journey is a long steady climb upwards, the second half is a twisty journey back down to sea level.

I am not sure that you have any alternatives that are any better or are not a very very long way round.

The snow has come as a bit of a surprise to everyone but the cold snap won't last. Remember the kiwi mantra - she'll be right.

Allow 2 hours if you haven't done the drive before. It's one of my favourite drives- particularly as you glimpse the lights of Napier- and as of tonight is open again.

Going on the last two days, then the answer is TWO DAYS otherwise you are looking at 2- 2.5hrs, depending whether you want to take some shots of some stunning scenery along the way. As for other routes well allow 3 DAYS

Kim

Thanks guys

you can get petrol/diesel and food plus a bed, at Rangitaiki. About 40k from Taupo.