Thread: NZ Food Safety Authority and home based food business

Default NZ Food Safety Authority and home based food business

Hi Guys :-

Bit of a random one really but we've been toying with the idea of starting a home based food business when we're back in NZ later this year. For selling at farmers markets and suchlike - however I've heard from a few people that NZFSA insist that all food prepared for sale must be made/prepared at a registerd premises and a domestic kitchen cannot be registered for this purpose.

I notice there is current a review on of regulations in this area:
    http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/policy-law/...nd-a/index.htm

Just wondering if anyone is currently doing anything in this area and how easy/hard it was to set up and meet regulatory standards? And if they see things becoming less regulated in the future.

Thanks.

Try searching for Moorf's thread about commercial kitchen requirements and her frustration (and ultimate resignation) trying to make cheese to sell.

Interesting, there was a situation on the Fair Go programme the other night, where a woman who has made homemade james for Hospice for many years was told she couldn't do it anymore because her kitchen wasn't licenced. No matter that they couldn't find any faults and it was spotlessly clean.
    Fair Go took up the cudgel for her, spoke with Council and they have made the decision to relax the rules slightly for those who only make produce on an intermitent basis.!

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    Interesting, there was a situation on the Fair Go programme the other night, where a woman who has made homemade james for Hospice for many years was told she couldn't do it anymore because her kitchen wasn't licenced. No matter that they couldn't find any faults and it was spotlessly clean.
    Fair Go took up the cudgel for her, spoke with Council and they have made the decision to relax the rules slightly for those who only make produce on an intermitent basis.!
    Which council? I would guess this only applies to that area?
    Hopefully, it is down here

Is there something like http://www.thekitchenspace.com/ in NZ? Seems like it could be a business idea for someone if not.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    Is there something like http://www.thekitchenspace.com/ in NZ? Seems like it could be a business idea for someone if not.
    I always used these "test" kitchens when I developed a new menu or restaurant concept.

one word: EXPENSIVE

for anyone who wanted to make some item for sale on an individual/small business scale, this would really undermine your bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    Interesting, there was a situation on the Fair Go programme the other night, where a woman who has made homemade james for Hospice for many years was told she couldn't do it anymore because her kitchen wasn't licenced.
    Was it this one?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10601853
    Health authorities are working to find a way around regulations that ban homemade jams and pickles from being sold to the public, after a complaint was laid against a hospice fundraiser.

I do remember reading somewhere on the Chch City Council website home producing is allowed if you are selling them to raise money for a charity (ie. cake stand at a church fair). However I can't understand how say a Bed and Breakfast would operate. The current regulations seem to suggest if you were operating a B&B you could not make breakfast in your own kitchen.

My friend has her kitchen registered. She bakes cupcakes and cookies and sells them at the farmer's market. I'll ask her next time I see her.

Thanks dilanium - do let me know.