Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bundles: Mobile, Landline, Internet ?

Default Bundles: Mobile, Landline, Internet ?

We'll be arriving in Nelson in a couple weeks, and need to get setup with a (prepaid) mobile phone, landline phone, and broadband internet. No TV, though.

In the US, broadband internet is usually bundled with TV (cable modems) or phone (dsl). The more services you order from one company, the better your rates.

In New Zealand, are there companies that bundle mobiles, landlines, and/or internet? If so, which companies would you recommend?

Also, are bundles a smart way to go, or is it better to use the "best" mobile company for mobiles, the "best" internet company for internet, etc.? In other words, is there a tradeoff between quality and price when you use bundles?

Are these good prices for mobile phones in NZ:
    https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/shop (click "Enter the Shop")

Can I get significantly better prices from a 2degrees store on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    We'll be arriving in Nelson in a couple weeks, and need to get setup with a (prepaid) mobile phone, landline phone, and broadband internet. No TV, though.

In the US, broadband internet is usually bundled with TV (cable modems) or phone (dsl). The more services you order from one company, the better your rates.

In New Zealand, are there companies that bundle mobiles, landlines, and/or internet? If so, which companies would you recommend?

Also, are bundles a smart way to go, or is it better to use the "best" mobile company for mobiles, the "best" internet company for internet, etc.? In other words, is there a tradeoff between quality and price when you use bundles?
    A few things you should be aware of.

First, if you take the landline and broadband from the same company then you normally get a discount e.g. $10 per month.

Telecom are the dominant company (overall) so you can get mobiles, landlines and interenet from them. You can for example link your telecom mobile to your landline and then phone between them as much as you like for a fixed monthly fee.

Mobile phone call charges are very high, so most people text.

For most broadband the local loop is owned by Telecom so all the other companies have to go through them to get any work done.

Most important for you is that most exchanges are full and so you will have to wait to get broadband, this could be days, weeks, months or even years before you can get a connection. This is very area dependent though so definitely check this out.

Ian

Since we'll be renting a house/apartment, internet is likely to be already handled by the owner, right? Maybe phones too, though I'm not sure about that. The point is, it might be the case that we can't fully bundle internet, phone, and mobiles until we either buy a house or find an apartment that lets us handle all that stuff ourselves.

So I'm thinking maybe I should forget about bundles and just focus on getting a good cell phone. Does that make sense? Or are the savings from bundles worth pursuing?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    Since we'll be renting a house/apartment, internet is likely to be already handled by the owner, right? Maybe phones too, though I'm not sure about that. The point is, it might be the case that we can't fully bundle internet, phone, and mobiles until we either buy a house or find an apartment that lets us handle all that stuff ourselves.

So I'm thinking maybe I should forget about bundles and just focus on getting a good cell phone. Does that make sense? Or are the savings from bundles worth pursuing?
    I wouldn't guarantee that there will be a phone or internet available at the rental property.

Normally they are 'moved' with the customer i.e. when they leave they transfer the account to their new property or cancel it.

As soon as the account is cancelled the internet connection can be "moved" to another property on the waiting list, so even though the rental may have had internet it still may not be available by the time you get connected.

Ian

A possible solution for the Internet issue could be Mobile Broadband. We've had a Vodafone Mobile Broadband connection ever since we arrived in NZ in January 2007. It can be used anywhere with mobile coverage (speed will depend on what kind of coverage there is at your location) and we found this particularly useful when we didn't have a fixed address yet.

Of course we now have a fixed Broadband line, but we have kept the mobile connection for those instances when we travel or when the Broadband is on the blink for whatever reason.

We pay $59.95 for 1GB and not sure how exactly we did it, but we got $10 discounted for the first two years ! It pays to be friendly with your local Vodafone shop staff !

Cheers,
    Silver

PS We had to wait 4 months to get the fixed Broadband line due to the exchange issues mentioned previously !

I would say that Telstra do all (voice, mobile, internet and TV) but not in Nelson for the TV.

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/homeplan/

They are quite qucik at an install but could take a week.

Bear in mind that many companies havea 12 month minimum period, so check beforehand. If you get into a 12 month contract check what the prices are to cancell early or move home. If you move you might not be able to take the service with you (except Telecom).

....oh and be preapred for MUCH higher prices and capped usage on the Internet (unless you get Telecoms Big Time package)

Have a look at Orcon http://www.orcon.net.nz/ for landline and broadband, no contract month to month great service and good price (better than Telecom)

Telecom seem to have the cheapest broadband plans:
    https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/

Which do you recommend: uncapped 20GB or capped unlimited?

If you can bring an unlocked mobile with you, I would probably go for a 2degree mobile sim to start with, their rates seem better than vodafones, and you can always change to another provider later if they offer a better bundled deal. The mobile rates aren't too bad for calling overseas to some countries, so you can stay in touch with home as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast