Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kiwi challenge, from a European-architectural-designer-point-of-view.

Post The Kiwi challenge, from a European-architectural-designer-point-of-view.

We're in NZ for almost 2 years now, and as an architectural designer, I'm extremely dissapointed in the quality of houses in NZ. To me architecture, or design in general, is a chain of opportunities, and what I see in NZ is a chain of missed opportunities.

We're designing and building our own house and the way this proces has exposed the general kiwi-understanding of sustainable, integrated design / building is mind blowing. One of the key elements that struck me is the understanding of day-night temperature changes. In general the NZ climate is mild, but the way it is very different from Europe is day-night temperatures. That is where you need to look for a healthy, comfortable home.
    And then, get rid of the 10 a penny designs offered by the match-stick construction companies. I see 2 basic designs in NZ; the old fashioned romantic colonial style, and the modern material, mix and match box designs. In all price categories same old, same old.
    With new houses, when it looks expensive, when it looks big, it is good...?

The architectural firm that is helping me with the design (NZ regulations etc.) told me this may be the first residential building to win an architectural award in NZ, which felt good to me at first, because I hoped to trigger a different understanding in building with it, to make NZ a more beautifull place, but I'm loosing my confidence with so much ignorance, so much misunderstanding in what makes life worth living.

A new house is an opportunity to do something better, not to just ad one more fashionably boring item to the existing stock.

Or is it?
    Last edited by John Z; 12th October 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Sounds a little discouraging, but not unexpected - as a landscape architect, I've found that different countries rarely make use of the latest techniques from around the world. New Zealand, with quite a low population base, probably lags behind in primary research when compared to, say, the US or Germany.

I don't know why there is this resistance to accept or build upon research from abroad - obviously, nothing is directly translatable from one climactic zone to the next, but there seems to be a tendency for professions in different countries to re-invent the wheel, every time. For example, I'm a big fan of SUDS (sustainable urban drainage systems), but trying to get local engineers (I'm in Hong Kong) to even look at the possibilities feels like bashing my head against a brick (or should that be concrete) wall ...

Well, I hope you can do your bit in pushing the boundaries, as I will certainly try to do when I eventually make the move. Is there a NZ equivalent of LEED or similar green building standards?

There are several green building projects, but I'm not yet familiar with them. One that seemed as a kind of reference to me was the "New Zealand Green Building Council". As a kind of hope I heard about Christchurch that regulations concerning environmental aspects, have sharpened the integration of designs into their surroundings. At least it is concerning colours (maybe materials?), but maybe someone from around Christchurch would know better (I live on the North Island).

As a landscape architect you might be of great help also; it is amazing how little consideration people have for nature (I haven't seen all of NZ yet...), it seems so easy to cut down (native) trees "to create a view", instead of designing WITH the natural environment. I simply hate all those neatly cut lawns where there could have been native nature, there is no balance. I don't see respect, I don't see understanding, I don't see creativity, to me it seems such a basic misunderstanding in what the opportunities in New Zealand are.

The opportunities, I think, are nowhere as good as in New Zealand, but how can we make a switch for the good of all? How can we make people aware without pushing too hard? I think there is an enormous challenge here, but although I'd hope the government would lead the way, BY EXAMPLE, there's also a risk of bureaucratic regulations. (And if there's something I hate above all, it is bureaucracy)

If my story sounds discouraging I'd like to balance that by stating it is a challenge, an opportunity, and nowhere better to have that challenge than in NZ.

I am glad you are here John, and don't get discouraged!

I am happy that you are slogging through the bureaucracy to make something happen.
    Great revolutions (i.e. building revolutions) start with one person doing something different. And NZ really would benefit from a building revolution.

I was just thinking (bemusedly, of course) that there would be MASSIVE interest in sustainable building if there was some Guinness World Record associated with it, as the Kiwis seem to be obsessed with breaking world records (especially if the Aussies hold it).

Can we somehow trick the country into embracing building design innovation by invoking national pride and statistics? You know, NZ could be the world record holder of new sustainable building models!!

What a brilliant idea! If only...

Hubby likes this post! He did a cadetship in an architectural design firm in Whangarei many years ago, before going into engineering and then engineering design instead, but has remained interested in building design (particularly eco/sustainable style). I tend more towards the gardening end of the spectrum and yearn for something beyond a 10x10m patch in the middle of our same-same 70s housing warren, but that's another story..

Anyway he's also just finished a long monologue about how you're completely right and can you desgn us a house one day?

The main issue here appears to be 'value for money'. Given the relative wealth of the population, I believe there is a perception that innvoative design from overseas is expensive and that 'Kiwi standard' will do.

In fact I believe that good design need not be initially expensive and certainly isn't in the medium to long term. For example building houses with 'thermal mass' i.e. stone, brick, concrete in part of them, so they heat up using the heat of the day and radiate this heat in the chilly evenings and nights, costs a bit more intially (for the material) and takes a bit of design, but ultimately is far more efficient.

I'm sure there are Kiwi designers and hosue building projects that do take into account good or even great design....it's just they seem to get lost in the mass of (sorry for saying this) crap!

So here's a challenge....can anyone post links, photos', names of deisgners / builders that show the best of New Zealand affordable design?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    In fact I believe that good design need not be initially expensive and certainly isn't in the medium to long term. For example building houses with 'thermal mass' i.e. stone, brick, concrete in part of them, so they heat up using the heat of the day and radiate this heat in the chilly evenings and nights, costs a bit more intially (for the material) and takes a bit of design, but ultimately is far more efficient...........
    For comfort, health and economy, it's as simple as that indeed. What I was told by someone who lives here a little longer than me, is that kiwi's move very often and therefore would not be interested in longterm thinking.

From what I've experienced in the few years (almost) we're here now, that is just BS. What I'm going to say now will most probably seem arrogant, insulting or whatever, but IN GENERAL I find people in NZ very immature, especially from a philosophical point of view. And this reflects in how they live, make choices, build houses etc.

Of course I've found exceptions to the rule, but again in architectural design, when you find "something different" and take your time to see what is really going in, again it's just a variation on the same old, same old.

Making a house or a building compliment or complement to a site (and vice versa) is what to me is one of the basic challenges, and yet, the best designs I've seen in NZ all are NOT integrated, but merely reflect the owners wish to express their modern taste for design.

NZ indeed should be a leader, not a follower. But then again, when the clients stick to just following the latest "fashion" it is hard to make a real change...

Again, no matter how silly this may sound, I think the government should lead by example...
    Last edited by John Z; 12th October 2009 at 11:30 AM.

One NZ company that comes close to what I think should be NZ architectural design is faeron-hay.

Although I feel they're still followers, a lot of their work is integrated, respectfull. At least they're inspirational, I think.

Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast