Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - BMI and Waist

Default Help - BMI and Waist

I've read lots about this, but just hoping someone can give me a bit of guidance.

Now I'm applying for a residence Visa - back on 27th March, was all set for my medical the next day, and then to submit my application as soon as everything was back from there. Then I wondered whether I might face an issue and I saw the BMI/Waist thing. Being honest, I was BMI 37 and waist 42. I feel healthy (I run twice a week and play football), but in reality wasn't.

I postponed the medical for 3 weeks until a week today, and have worked incredibly hard in the gym and eaten very healthily, and my BMI today moved under the magic 35 (to 34.9). By the time of the medical it will be slightly less. I'm confident I'm healthy, but my waist doesn't appear to be moving much - I suspect it may still be slightly over 40".

Given my other health and lower BMI (plus the fact that my diet and work must have reduced cholestoral/blood pressure etc.), is likely I'll be OK? Or will the slight 0.3 of an inch I suspect I'll be over lead to instant referral.

Have handed my notice in at work so leave end of June. I know it's not realistic (albeit not impossible) to get the resident visa back by then, and I don't mind waiting another month or so (probably go and stay in Scotland for a bit), but I know if I'm referred I'll lost at least another 6 weeks/2 months, so desperate for it not to happen!

I'm not worried about a referral as my healthy eating/working out etc. will definitely lower my waist under 40" by any referral (my target BMI is under 30 at least), it's more the time.

Btw, I'd hope this may be of some use to someone with a higher BMI who is desparing about how to get it down without "crash diets", pills, fad diets, milkshakes etc.

I have done it by working out each day for 30mins (I use the treadwalker, makes you sweat but not as hard on your legs/knees as the treadmill and swim), and eating 5 small meals a day and drinking only Water - special K for breakfast, banana mid morning, sushi, apple for lunch, yoghurt mid afternoon and chicken/fish with spicy sauce (low fat ,low calorie) and nice steamed veg (babycorn, asparagus, nice brocolli) with Kiwi Fruit for dinner. If I can do it (worst will power ever), then anyone can!!

Any help would be useful.

Hello and welcome.

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer on this one. It could be that in another week's time, your waist will have reduced more than you think (have you tried twists and side-stretches?). It could be that the doctor who does your medical turns out to be a merciful one - we have heard there are some who pull the tape very firmly. When it comes to that point, don't forget to tuck in and up, and to hold your arms higher than your shoulders.

The medical examiners' handbook http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf says this about BMI and waist measurements.

The medical examiner is expected to calculate the BMI for all applicants aged 18 years and older.
    Measure the waist circumference of all applicants 18 years of age. With a tape measure, comfortably
    measure the shortest circumference that is below the rib cage and above the umbilicus.
    The medical examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids where BMI >35 or when
    the waist circumference in applicants 18 years or over is greater than the following limits1:
    • men: ≥ 102cm, except Asian/Indian men: ≥ 90cm
    • women: ≥ 88cm, except Asian/Indian women: ≥ 80cm.
    Where a patient may be in a higher risk category, with fasting bloods having been requested, the
    applicant’s attitude to their condition should be explored. Please note whether they recognise a
    problem exists, whether they are planning any changes to improve the situation, have they made
    any changes, what success, if any, have they had etc, is all relevant information.
    So if you think you still may be 'over' on the day, it's worth going in early, fasting, if you can, so the doctor can do the fasting blood tests straight away, and that would be one delay minimized.

My husband needed to get his BMI down and reduce his waist for future medicals. He cut out sugar (including fruit), cut down on carbs and increased protein. After a few weeks he lost 3 and half stone, BMI down from 30 to 24 and his waist from 40" to 34".

Keep perservering and hopefully your bloods will come back ok. In the meantime you could try taking PLANT STEROLS....my mum has had excellent results in reducing her cholesterol level with these (she has vegan diet but genetic fat retention).

Lydia.

I went through the same thing and it all worked out fine. My advice is to make sure your appointment is in the morning and that you follow all the advice about avoiding alcohol for 48 hours before the medical and avoid eating and drinking (except water) for 12 hours before. Unless you have other problems you should be fine because if you're fasting glucose works out clear I don't think the doctor will be concerned about your weight, especially if you say it's on the way down.

Easy in the end, BMI was 33 and waist about 94 (I hadn't been measuring in the right place). My health kick (still on going) worked as blood pressure fine too, as was X-Ray on first view.

Of course bloods could still be a problem, who knows, but guess I worried over nothing.

Btw, would recommend the Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead.....

Good news - hope it continues to go well.

I hadn't been measuring in the right place.
    Where had you been measuring?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Good news - hope it continues to go well.

Where had you been measuring?
    It's a family website, so no smarty pants comments

Well done, and I think there's a bit of a trend that doctors for the medicals often have 'elastic' measuring tapes for people that are clearly healthy, active fit, but perhaps close to the limit.

Perhaps he'd been measuring his smarty pants, rather than his waist.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Perhaps he'd been measuring his smarty pants, rather than his waist.
    Do his smarty pants contain his clever .... oh forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by edw123 View Post
    Easy in the end, BMI was 33 and waist about 94 (I hadn't been measuring in the right place). My health kick (still on going) worked as blood pressure fine too, as was X-Ray on first view.

Of course bloods could still be a problem, who knows, but guess I worried over nothing.

Btw, would recommend the Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead.....
    Hi edw123

Just searched and read your posts, I am now following the same weight loss regime -- Medical at end of month. Fingers crossed !

Regards

Gingerdingo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast