Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filled radiators

Default Oil filled radiators

Hi, anyone know if its ok to take oil filled radiators in your container? There's an offer on locally for 1.5KW ones, though I'd pick up a few as we are most likely to arrive in winter

How much are they there Linda? We can compare with NZ costs....

Hi, we paid 10 pound each for 2, 1.5KW 7 fin heaters, special offer normally about 30 pounds each, the fan heaters (2KW) were also on special at 5 pounds each so we also got 2 of them.

Worth a try, if we need anything better (a 2.5KW DeLonghi was 80 pounds) then we'll pick some upm once we are there).

About 5 years ago when we had our conservatory built we foolishly decided NOT to have a radiator fitted. When we felt the chill we went out and bought one of the oil filled heaters.
    It was like a comedy scene, hubby was watching the electric metre while I fiddled with the heaters knobs.
    Yes, No, Is that on high? How fast is the wheel going? These where some of the noises we were making.
    We left the heater on what we thought was a relatively slow run on the electric wheel. Marchish time the electric bill came. :eek :eek
    OMG what! It was normally around the £80- 100 mark. £275.00 for three months!!! just to heat up the conservatory.
    I got on the phone and questioned this hideous amount. Forgot about the heater and was about to hit a tirade of temper ( No swearing tho) when it hit me! ops: the heater.

Be careful

Jan xx

Thanks for the warning Jan. ops:

As far as we can see most of the houses in NZ appear to be unheated(no central heating etc). I have seen some with portable gas heaters fed from bottles. Does anyone know if these are a more efficient/effective form of heating in NZ?

Whilst there are hazards assoociated with the oil radiators, I thought they would be safer for the kids rooms etc father than a gas heater (obvoiusly just to warm them up, not for overnight use).

I have also never used electric blanketsanyone think they are a good or bad idea?

I have also seen some storage heaters in NZ houses (I have had these in the past and they were pretty pants in an aincient country cottage with nothing more than a coal/wood fireplace to heat the house), what's the view on these.

Are these woodburners the most effective/inexpensive option?

And can anyone tell me what a heat pump is? :

Lots of questions I know but it looks like we'll be arriving midwinter.

We bought quite a few oil illed radiators for our first house (no heating! :? )

The only mistake we made was the first two we bought had no timer on them.
    The next ones we got had timers on so that we knew they were only on for a certain amount of time.

We also had an LPG heater for the lounge in that particular house.
    They certainly throw the heat out BUT....
    a) I never felt completely safe with it.
    b) It caused the worst condensation I have ever seen.
    c) There is a constant "LPG" smell.

Wouldnt have another one....but then again the house we are in now has ducted air heating.
    I wouldnt consider buying another house now without heating.

Hello Paul and Linda

We got a heat pump which provide heating during winter time and airconditioning during summer time. It takes out stale air and re-circulate fresh air into the house, including filters that suck up all the air-borne dusts. The heat pump also take away the smell after my cooking.

We got a very large area i.e. an open plan kitchen, dinning and living area, which requires one blower and a compressor. The costs is $3,500 and our monthly electricity bill is $85 per month.

SUCCESS with your move to NZ

Default rad

Hi, we paid 10 pound each for 2, 1.5KW 7 fin heaters, special offer normally about 30 pounds each, the fan heaters (2KW) were also on special at 5 pounds each so we also got 2 of them.
    They are about $35 in the warehouse

I wouldn't trust ANY electrical items from the Warehouse. Heard nothing but bad reports... and I've experienced Warehouse-related Meltdown myself!

They're cheap...but if you have to keep taking it back/replacing it several times it doesn't work out to be very economical in the long run.

Gas heaters are pretty good as long as you don't keep em on too long, but most NZ houses are so drafty that any heat just escapes quickly. Why haven't they figured out how to insulate houses over here??? I mean, it's not as if they don't KNOW how cold it can get is it??? :

Having said all that, it's a helluva day today...really warm , clear blue skies, & sunshine. Perfect Autumn day.

My goodness... guess what we discovered in the house today.... a DOUBLE GLAZED UNIT!!!

:eek :eek :eek :eek

Very basic set of french doors but hey, let's start the bidding at... priceless??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast