Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Deposit Box - Where to get one?

Default Safe Deposit Box - Where to get one?

I've just been told by Kiwibank that they don't have safe deposit boxes, at least in Nelson. They said I should try Westpac or BNZ.

Are safe deposit boxes uncommon in NZ? Are they called something else? I'm looking for a safe place to store off-site copies of data and documents. Are there other services (besides bugging friends) that can do that for me?

Of the banks, which do you recommend for getting a safe deposit box? I already have a Kiwibank account, so do the other banks compliment it in some way? Is it easier to transfer funds to Westpac or BNZ from Kiwibank?

Thanks a bunch!

BNZ and Westpac responded to my emails and both said that they don't offer safe deposit boxes in Nelson.

What other options do I have?

My goal is to have a secure place to store hard disks and documents off-site.

Hotels often have safes/ safe deposit boxes for guests, perhaps the place you first stay at in Nelson would let you store things while you travel? Or maybe (??? just guessing here) you could store small things in your Post Office box? That would be pretty secure.

Hmm, I have several hard disk that I'll want to store, definitely too many for a PO box.

I suppose could buy a safe, and then ask a friend to keep it for me (and exchange the favor if he wants offsite backups as well).

What other long term storage options (for hard disks, etc.) are available in NZ?

Try ANZ

I called ANZ. They have safe deposit "envelopes" rather than boxes. Another place I tried said the same thing.

So are safe deposit boxes (which need a key to open) rare in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    I think they are quite rare, but they are available in Wellington:

http://www.centralvault.co.nz/

ASB does do them, but only in Auckland, I think: http://www.asbvault.co.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    I called ANZ. They have safe deposit "envelopes" rather than boxes. Another place I tried said the same thing.

Yes, they are rare, there is indeed one special company doing that in Wellington, but when I investigated that it was many times more expensive (and not accessible during the weekend) and thus chose for ANZ. Although your stuff is in an envelope, it is safe - I now have one in town here. Works perfectly okay for me.

Cheers,
    Anita

Westpac on Queen St in Auckland has safe deposit boxes.

I keep my passport, U.S. driver's licence, other important documents, and valuable software disks in a Sentry fire safe, which is a lockable heavy-duty little suitcase designed to survive a fire and protect the contents from extreme heat. There are various sizes and types available.

We use an safe deposit envelope in the UK with HSBC. Works fine, but has a 24 hour notice period and you you pay if you take stuff in and out (but inspection is free which is all a bit odd). £25 a year though, which makes it cheap as chips for safe storage of house deeds, etc. For regular access then perhaps not as idea.

Oh, and by envelope, then that's not a little DL envelope, we used a big thick envelope with loads of plans, etc etc. I'd not want to put in a HDD though, as I don't know how it's transported. DVDs would be fine though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast