Thread: Cherimoyas and other NZ fruit

Default Cherimoyas and other NZ fruit

Just got a crop of cherimoyas in our local market and oh are they good.

I have already become addicted to feijoas, tamarillos, and passion fruit, so this makes 4 new fruit favorites since coming to New Zealand.

Plus the oranges, tangerines, etc. here are fantastic.

I have no idea what cherimoyas are but this sounds like another good reason to come to NZ. I am looking forward to seeing what I can grow when we get to Wellington!

Apparently called a "Custard Apple" in British English...never seen them myself but now will look out for them in Christchurch. According to wiki, Mark Twain said they were the most delicious fruit known to man!

We had two cherimoya trees at our old place. We were told they are suppoed to be very good for you. I think it was blood pressure benefits but I never researched it. I think I'll go do that now...

I'm back...here's what I found:
    Custard apple (cherimoya)
    What is it? A heart-shaped tropical fruit with a greenish scaly skin that is inedible. Native to South America and the West Indies, they get their name from the custard-like texture of their flesh which tastes like a mixture of honey, banana and pineapple.
    Health benefits An excellent source of vitamin C, a good source of dietary fibre, and a useful source of vitamin B6, which helps calm the nerves. They also contain calcium, needed to promote healthy bones; iron, needed for healthy red blood cells;
    manganese, which helps make and activate some enzymes, and potassium which helps regulate blood pressure.
    How to eat Cut in half and scoop out the flesh, then add to fruit salads or make into an ice cream, sorbet or milk shake.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I have no idea what cherimoyas are but this sounds like another good reason to come to NZ. I am looking forward to seeing what I can grow when we get to Wellington!
    Passion fruit grow so well, just cut ours right back & may have lost it now depending on building but a huge crop for 2 years

It's strange going round the supermarkets looking at the strange fruit, we put tammirillo in a pasta sauce

ooo feijoas.. i especially miss them!