Thread: Lectureship at Dunedin. Help!!!!!

Default Lectureship at Dunedin. Help!!!!!

Hi my friends,
    I am an US man. I got the faculty position of lecturer at Dunedin with starting salary NZ$70,000. I am happy but I am not sure:
    1. Is the faculty position of lecturer a stable and good job in NZ (for my whole life)?
    2. Is it enough for my family (2 adults and 1 child) (with only my income) at Dunedin? Can I have saving from this salary?
    Please give me advices.
    Thanks
    Feng Hanain

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sure people who are knowledgeable will be along to help you soon. Congratulations on the job offer.

I'm sorry to say the answers to your questions are not going to be definite yes or no ones...

To address the first one, it depnds on the department of the university as to whther they have long term funding etc, but I would not say that ANY job is 'for life' any more to be honest

For your second question... really depends on whether you will be renting, living with a mortgage or mortgage free. buit I would say that $70k to support a family is not a great deal - depends on what you are used to... perhaps others who are in the area can give you more idea of cost of licing in Dunedin, or those living on a similar salary can advise how easy it is to cope.

Hi friend,
    Thanks. Any other inputs?

Well if it's any help I have just started my PhD at Otago and it is great here!

We are renting a 3bed house (which I think is huge!) 20 minutes walk from the University for $300pcm. We pay about $130-140 per month on electricity at the moment (lots, but we're not very efficient at working out the best way to heat the house yet). Be careful with house hunting. You will hear horror stories about North Dunedin and the students. We live in north-ish Dunedin and don't have any problems with students/noise and live in a fairly warm house. But ensure that you have a house which gets sun for most of the day as then your heating bill will be much less.

Buses are reasonably priced about $2.50 for a one way/two zone trip for an adult, or cheaper if you buy a 'Go card' which gives you 10% off each trip.

Food is much more expensive than I thought it would be. I think we are spending over $120 per week for two of us. Although I do have an expensive cheese habit being vegetarian so can't buy the 'cheaper' cheese. And I don't find bread particularly cheap nor yoghurt. There is however the Farmers Market every week by the train station where it is easy to pick up seasonal fruit and vegetables at really good prices.

You will find that the University has an active Staff Club who might be able to help and advise further. Check out the staff bulletin here http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/bulletin/index.php if you haven't read it already.

Good luck.

Wink Tough to find a job

Heya, is $70k before or after tax? If you're going to be taxed further on this pay, you may find it rather tight for 3 persons. I agree with dusk that these days, it's hard to find a job that's 'for life'. However, jobs are difficult to come by these days and I think it may be erstwhile trying out this lecturing position in the meantime to see if it's what you like. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by feng.hanain View Post
    Hi friend,
    Thanks. Any other inputs?

Dear Sary,
    Thank you very much for your comments. As my calculation, I will have about NZ$4000 per month (after tax). I guess it is OK for a small family of 3 people.

Do you or any one know the research environment at Otago, especially for a lecturer? Normally a faculty position at Otago is a confirmation path. It will become permanent after 3-5 years (confirmation path). So I guess it is very stressful?????????

Dear Scorpio,
    70k is before tax. Thanks

Thumbs up Go for it!

I hear that Otago is a very vibrant city for undergrads. I think that if your family is not extravagant, you should be able to attain a fairly decent standard of living on this pay. You may enjoy this lecturing position. Give it your best shot, all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by feng.hanain View Post
    Dear Scorpio,
    70k is before tax. Thanks