Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which bank ?

Default which bank ?

I want to open my account and transfer money before i arrive NZ.Which bank is better to offer bank account opening facility before arrival of immigrant? and will the trnasfered or deposited amount will be taxable?

The choice of Banks is yours, but the ANZ, Westpac, National, BNZ, Rabo, are all what you would call the 'bigger' banks. If you earn money by way of interest from your deposited amount, that will be taxed, otherwise transferring money doesn't incur any income tax.

For what it's worth, we opened a BNZ account from overseas without any permits/visas.

It was easy--print out a form and emailed it back. The replied with account information. Then we transferred the money into the account.

Simple. Took only a couple of days.

We did the same with Westpac, if you have a paperless internet account it is free.

Default Hassle-free Local Banking

Setting up my account with BNZ (in NZ) last year was a smooth fuss-free process

However, many others have told me that they hadn't experienced the same consistency this time round... I wonder why?

We opened a National Bank account from UK with no problems.

ASB were very easy indeed and also easy to open Australian account with. I can't fault their service either.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    For what it's worth, we opened a BNZ account from overseas without any permits/visas.

It was easy--print out a form and emailed it back. The replied with account information. Then we transferred the money into the account.

Simple. Took only a couple of days.

Ditto the above!

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    The choice of Banks is yours, but the ANZ, Westpac, National, BNZ, Rabo, are all what you would call the 'bigger' banks. If you earn money by way of interest from your deposited amount, that will be taxed, otherwise transferring money doesn't incur any income tax.
    is interest on deposit taxed if you are not a NZ resident?

yes, it depends on your departing country but for example you would pay 10% coming from the uk to the nz government.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast