Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cattlegrid / Cattlestop

Default Cattlegrid / Cattlestop

My precious garden is under siege. First cows, now escapee lambs who can wriggle under fences. It's amazing how much damage lambs can do to young fruit trees and magnolias. And don't even get me started on that £"**&*%$ hare or the slugs, or the Southerly wind that flattened everything 2 weeks ago.

I look out and all I can see are the enemy stretching away for miles, all around me, woolly little bodies just dying to get in and eat my plants. We've had 8 different lamb attacks from 3 different farms in the past 2 weeks.

So - we are going to get a cattle stop at our main garden entrance which will mean that the majority of the attackers don't get in (but won't stop the ones who come from above but I have plans for the fencing up there), and it will also mean no further surprise cow attacks. Cattle stops are turning out to be surprisingly expensive and hard to find. I have found one company in Te Puke, and that's it so far. My Dad has agreed to pay for my Christmas present, so I have the money in my bank account and I'm ready to go.

So I'm looking for advice - where to get them, how to install them, what's the best one to stop EVERYTHING. Names, brands, someone who could do it all for me preferably....

Cheers

Sam

Cant help on the cattle grid front but how about electric gates that you open and shut with a remote?

12 bore shotgun & some chest freezers.

Or, as suggested above, electric gates.
    I have actually seen stock get over cattlegrids!

Nick.

By cattlestop are you talking the metal grid inset into the road? I've actually heard that painted lines to look like those are nearly as effective against cows. No idea on other livestock.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/cattle-guard
    Animals will try to avoid the lines/grid but will try and run around the edges, maybe a bit of electric fencing in addition to that.

My Dad wanted to get electric gates and I said no because I thought it would look way too fancy for round here, and they would be miles away from the house, and how would anyone else get in, and there's no electricity anywhere near where the gates would need to go (Our drive is very long).

What do you think of these, would they stop anything?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-fa...-248658713.htm

Could it be done as a DIY job? Dig a trench, put down a few scaffold poles or girders, fix in place each end and Bob's your uncle. Maybe a kissing gate for pedestrians. Or is it really not as simple as that?

Well, our drive is very steep and already has problems with washing away every time it rains, I think a DIY job would probably be the final nail in its coffin, plus I'm not all that handy. There are storm drains on either side to work round, I think I need people who know what they are doing. Plus these animals are very persistent, it will have to be pretty good to keep them out.

How about contacting a local engineering workshop?
    See if they can knock something together.

Nick.

Also, from reading the website of the company I have found, scaffolding poles will buckle and collapse under the weight of larger vehicles. Could actually be disastrous...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Also, from reading the website of the company I have found, scaffolding poles will buckle and collapse under the weight of larger vehicles. Could actually be disastrous...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast