Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Economy v Premium Economy

Default Economy v Premium Economy

We have been wondering about the benefits of Premium economy v economy when we do eventually make the flight. We will be two adults and two 8 year old boys (Can't afford business class and the boys wouldn't be accepted anyway!)

We are trying to decide if it is worth the benefit of digging into our capital to upgrade or should we just stay in cattle class (as my brother calls it!). we are currently thinking of flying Heathrow, Singapore, Christchurch with the potential for a stopover in Singapore.

-So upgrade flight
    -Upgrade Hotel/length of stopover in Singapore
    -Do full journey on the cheap and save our money
    -other options I have not thought about

Any ideas and different views about the above options would be gratefully received. Curiously the boys thought Singapore would be a good place to visit...so I'm all for it!

Not sure for the move itself. I know that we had some friends doing the same sort of trip we did when we went last year, we did Business class flights and campervan for 5 weeks, they did cattle class and hotels for their 3.5 week trip. We both spent about the same, but they spent the first week having a miserable time with ear ache, and jet lag. We landed, drove to the Coromandel, slept 12 hours and then were fine. From what I can tell then the food in Business class is the same as PE, and that was superb. Ok, you don't get the lounge access (not really all that important, although the showers helped) and of course you have to make do with seats rather than beds. I think a lot depends on how tall you are. I'm 6'4", so it makes a huge difference, there's no way I could do economy for 24 hours, I've also got a dodgy back, and even 4 hours on a train from edinburgh left me crippled for 3 months and a 4 figure physio bill. On the other hand, wifey74 is 5'3 and so we really ought ot have got a discount as she hardly made the most of the space she was allotted ;-)
    When we make the move then I reckon we'll probably go Business again, although we'd seriously consider PE as it looked fine. We flew Virgin Premium to NY and that was very disapointing for a number of reasons, although even I couldn't grumble about the leg room.
    Having said all that, I reckon for a holiday it's more important to have a good flight as you need to recover quickly to make the most of it. For a one way trip, then unless you're due in work the next day, it's less important.

My personal opinion would be to upgrade to Premium Economy on ANZ, or possibly look at Singapore Airlines and go cattle class on the A380 which has a lot more room.

PS
    Remember you get more baggage allowance going West.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

What airlines are you planning on using as that will determine how great the benefit? I.e BA Premium Economy is just Economy with a bit more legroom. Oh, and a copy of the Daily Wail Expensive newspaper if you ask me! Air NZ on the other hand is as Duncan74 describes, so much more benefit.

I would say that Premium Economy would probably be worth it regardless of whether you have a stopover in Singapore (if you're planning that I'm guessing you're not flying Air NZ). If comfort is the main factor, and depending on how tall the big people in your family are, it may prevent some serious moods - my DH is 6ft 3 so finds economy unbearable, but I'm a BA Silver card holder so can select seats in advance and so can book the exit/legroom seats. The one time we didn't get them he sulked all the way through the airport until I bought him a PSP to take his mind of the lack of legroom I digress!

Kids are allowed in Business Class, it's just not that common due to cost (I imagine) but I have seen kids "up front". Some airlines may have age restrictions though.

I do like Singapore as a place to visit. It is very clean (almost clinical) and relatively cheap as well. Definitely do the Zoo, including the night safari, which I really like, and Sentosa Island.

Only you can decide where to spend your money as it will be entirely dependent on your own priorities. If you want to keep hold of more of your savings then don't splash out of the flights and maybe have a couple of days in Singapore.

Go with Singapore Airlines and spend a couple of days there. Won't add heaps to your flight budget but you'll arrive more rested and having had a better time than if you fly straight through premium economy. I can't see the premium economy offering the kids much greater comfort because they'll be pretty comfy anyway- but after 13 hrs you'll all be very glad of a decent sleep in a bed, a leg stretch and a shower. I've heard very good things about the Singapore airport hotel if you only want to stop for a few hours (we stopped for 11 in Kuala Lumpar in the Pan Pacific (!!) and that's enough to shower, sleep and breakfast) and good things about the night zoo if you decide on a few days. I think the jetlag is massively reduced when you break the journey this way so you recover quicker and feel so much better when you arrive.

Air NZ premium economy is great. Especially the downstairs seats on the 747 - they have four rows just in front of the economy cabin, where there are no seats in the middle bit of the plane (it's used for storage, back of the galley etc) so each side of the plane is like a little private cabin with an aisle, two seats and then the window. It feels much more like business class than economy - you have much more privacy, a decent amount of space (although not a flat bed), better service, food, wine, headphones etc. Although it isn't 100% clear when you get to the airport, you do seem to be able to use the business class / gold card check in counter as well (but not the lounge, of course).

The also have premium economy seats upstairs but they didn't look quite so good, as they don't have the "small cabin" feel of the ones downstairs. Actually, the business class cabin didn't have that feel either.

Our flights were with young kids, and having the extra space and more personal service made a huge difference for them.

Emirates economy on the A380 was great, lots of legroom, good food and excellent entertainment system

The rooms in the transit hotel (http://athmg.com/) at Singapore airport can be booked for a minimum of 6 hours if you decide to go economy instead. You don't need to collect your luggage or clear customs to access this hotel. There's also a swimming pool if you've got a reasonable wait between flights.

Another route you could consider is going via Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific is a good airline and there is a Disneyland in Hong Kong if you're going to spend a few days there. A good place to stay is the YMCA in Kowloon - it has great views overlooking the harbour and family suites at very reasonable rates. http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nickiware View Post
    Emirates economy on the A380 was great, lots of legroom, good food and excellent entertainment system
    We'd second that although as I had chosen to sit near the back they had run out of main dinner options by the time they got to us

I always go veggie so I get served first!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast