Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Stream - Parent - Processing Times

Smile Family Stream - Parent - Processing Times

I just read the following on the London Branch page......

To ensure fairness, changes have been made to the allocation of applications to better ensure cases are processed in the order that they are received and that the oldest applications, no matter where they are submitted, are processed first. This has meant changes to the number of places allocated to the London branch based on the age of the applications held there. This has had an impact on the length of time before a case can be allocated to a case officer in the London branch.

For these reasons, applications will take up to 15 months to be allocated to a Case Officer after being accepted. Once allocated, the average processing time frame will be four to six months, unless there are complicated health or other issues to determine. Please note that the times given for allocation and decision are indicative only and may be subject to change.

This is better than the 2 years it was stating a couple of months ago!!! Good news all around I would say!

Interestingly though - the Wellington website has these times...

Family Parent, Family Adult, Child Adult, Sibling Categories

•80% of all applications for residence will be completed within nine months from when a case officer is allocated.
    •99% of all applications for residence will be completed within 12 months from when a case officer is allocated.

Something worth investigating first before submitting your applications!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a way by which we can sponsor my husband's mother for residency under the family category before we have been residents for 3 years?

My husband is her only son & we are her only close family. She has a brother in Australia but they are not close. Now we are here she is very isolated in UK and desperate to join us.

She also has some other issues (e.g. will have to sell her house soon as her mortgage will be due & may not have anywhere to live other than with us).

Any visas or combination of them that people have used to come over early & wait for the official 3 years, or way by which we can sponsor earlier?

Health/character all fine, financially over here she would be mortgage free and self sufficient so no state burden issues.

So, way longer for an application in NZ to be processed by the COs than in London. But did they say how long before an application is allocated to a CO in Wellington?

KatieBen, you can't sponsor her early, but there is a way of getting her with you for most of the time while the rest of your qualifying time passes. This link is to a thread with a family who had a similar situation. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?p=283127

If your mother gets a 9-month visitor's visa, then goes back to the UK to get a grandparent's visa which would entitle her to 18 months in NZ out of the next 3 years (6 months at a time, with quick trips out of the country, even for just a day, in between), that would have used up 27 months, plus organizing time. I see you've been in NZ for nearly 6 months, so that will have got you very near the 3 years before you can sponsor her for her own PR.

Thanks for the link.

One (of many!) problems is that we originally came over on a work visa as our PR applications were held up by medical referrals, requests for second opinions, etc - so it would be 3 years from now that we could sponsor her (PR only came through a few weeks back). She also wouldn't have anywhere to go back to in the UK after her 9 months as a visitor, she'll have to sell her house or rent it out to get here anyway.

I realise a lot of people are in the same boat with wanting parents out, was hoping to hear of a case where INZ had made an exception to policy for some situations!

She's miserable back in the UK at the moment and we miss her

Well, like I said on that other thread, there are lots of us who wish the rules would bend in various ways (us, too). It sounds as though at least you are nearer to, timewise, an answer than some.

On the point you mention, a couple of suggestions - staying with friends/family, a holiday let out of season, signing up for a coach tour. You (and she) may need to get inventive to qualify, but at least it's a possibility. You might be able to sell it to her as it being better to do something she'd rather not for a short time than have to put up with how things are now for three years.

you are in the exact same situation as us. my husband's mum and step-dad want to come out and have filed their application. we have been here 3 years as of 21st May 09. They put in their app in June/July.

I also asked the same question as you on this site. remember too that even after the 3 years you will have at least another two to wait for all her application to go thru.

we knew about the 3 year wait to sponsor - but thought that when she finally applied that it would take about as long as his app took (a month or so!) not 2 years +.

i suggest you look into the grandparent visa etc as suggested above and use the time to get yourselves settled and established.

i guess we shall all be on this board for a lot longer! x

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    So, way longer for an application in NZ to be processed by the COs than in London. But did they say how long before an application is allocated to a CO in Wellington?
    no - i thought the same thing but couldnt find that on the site - although AKL looked longer

I thought that the primary purpose of the new rule was to avoid discrepancies in waiting time at the various offices before being allocated a case officer, and that all parents applications were now dealt with in London?
    Is it possible that the waiting time differences quoted between London and Wellington are for other family categories other than retirees?
    In any case a reduction 9 months in the quoted waiting time can only be good news!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast