Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlice

Default Headlice

it seems that we have picked up the little critters from somewhere along our travels, and i'm frustratingly trying to remove them from mine and my daughters hair.
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a robi comb, or any other useful removal method, trying to stay away from the chemicals and don't have much money to spread about at the moment.
    Embarrassing to notify family of them and then a little shocking to realise how uneducated some people are about this matter.

Also where can i get my hair cut, don't think any of the hairdressers would really appreciate cutting my hair when it has lice in it but i'm struggling to remove them with such long hair. I can cut DD's and DP's hair myself easily enough but not my own....well not if i want it to look tidy!

The combs should be available at your local pharmacy and some treatments include a comb in the pack. Tea tree oil is often recommended as a treatment. My children's school have recommended using Dove conditioner - leave it on the hair for a while and then comb through with it still on.

Good luck.

currently using conditioner and a standard nit comb.
    The robi comb i was refering to is an electronic comb that zaps the lice, appears to be around $80 to buy in the shops, i was just hoping to find it a lot cheaper somewhere.

This is just one of several available. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beau...-248479589.htm

thanks JandM i found that one.

Good luck with that! We had them on-off for a year until the kids changed schools ...

I honestly found the most effective method (and believe me, I've nearly tried them all!) to be conditioner combing- use HEAPS of conditioner and a long toothed nit comb (the shorter ones aren't as effective, imo). Repeat as often as you can bear.

thats what we are currently doing, but i figured if we could kill them too (which the robi comb does) then the ellimination would be quicker and we would be less likely to become reinfested!

If you can get hold of a nitty gritty comb that would be great. A fantastic little nit comb that has spiral teeth.

I have one DD who is a magnet for nits, even her sisters don't pick them up like she does. I've tried many lotions here, but the only one that works for us is Derbac, all the quick treatments and shampoos have failed. I supplement the Derbac treatments with conditioning. I slather dry hair in conditioner and comb through and then leave it in overnight, wet it again next day and comb through then wash out. I use the nitty gritty on my hair everyday when I have conditioner in.

I have not heard particularly good reviews of the electronic combs tbh. Combing and combing and combing seems to be the most tried and trusted method.

Good luck - it's our constant headache

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    If you can get hold of a nitty gritty comb that would be great. A fantastic little nit comb that has spiral teeth.
    I second that- we had one in Australia and it was brilliant and much less likely to snag hair than a non-spiral one. My older daughter developed a love of crushing the lice between her fingernails.

If you have a hair straightener, it will work to kill the lice .... fried lice anyone?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast