Thread: Bookshelves...

Default Bookshelves...

The quest for UK equivalents continues...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We left 4 small Pine style bookshelves in the UK, that we had bought for about 15 each from Argos, as I thought they might cost more to ship than they actually cost to buy.

Big mistake, as it seems to be impossible to find an equivalent seller of cheap shelves here. Ones at The Warehouse & similar seem to cost hundreds of dollars.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other places I could try?

PS. My container landed today - now for the MAF/customs gauntlet. Will post on the whole shipping process when everything arrives...

Try the place on Cuba St...near Courtney end. Not fabulous quality, but they are wood. They have sales from time to time.
    Also, there's a used furniture store near the Salvation Army in CBD that has really nice old stuff from estates now and then,,, not particularly inexpensive, but way better buy than the junk sold as high end.
    Sorry I can't give you exact addresses, but a little exploring never hurt!

Have you tried the Mitre 10 Mega stores? You can still buy 'do it yourself' kits.

Thanks Fern, did try Mitre10, but not quite right for us.

Nathan - no worries, we popped in that Sal. Army shop today, again not quite right but I imagine it would be a good place to keep checking up on. Also, I think you mean Hardings, who we do keep checking on. We have our eye on a couple of potentials for the living room there. We also brought a 7 piece dining table & chairs from another Welly branch that was closing down - $700, and it's going for $1200 now at that cuba st. branch. Def some bargains to be had.

And you know what, we popped in the Warehouse again, and it was actually fine for the more basic shelves we want - there were some $49/$59 ones, which will do nicely enough hidden away in the spare room.