Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economy v Premium Economy

If there's the option I request Asian vegetarian- most the meals are better than decent takeaways with TO DIE FOR sweets, whereas my kids have western vegetarian and that seems to always be a bit boring or creamy.

you could always check out http://www.seatguru.com/ this reviews all seats on all planes, all airlines etc. You just need to know what type of plane it is.

I was dreading the trip from Manchester to Christchurch (via Heathrow, Bangkok, Sydney) with two small children, but, strangely enough, even going economy I didn't find it unbearable. I told the children just not to ask how long was left or what time it was, and I had a different inexpensive present wrapped up for each leg of the journey.
    If I'd have had my husband travelling with me I'd definitely chosen the stop-over as it's a brilliant opportunity to visit somewhere very different (as it was couldn't face loading and unloading kiddies and luggage by myself). As we always seem to be on a budget, premium economy just seemed a luxury too far whereas seeing a different culture to me is priceless.

We looked at going business initially but decided not to spend the money on that but to have five days in Singapore instead. Even with the 5 day cost, it still works out significantly less expensive than the business option (more money for shopping!!). Re. premium economy - be really careful. With some airlines (like Virgin), PE is fabulous. With British Airways, it is a total waste of money. To be honest, I haven't heard particularly good reports about PE on ANZ: I imagine it's a bit like BA. My recommendation? Book economy and spend some time in Singapore or wherever you like for a stopover. Remember, with SIA, you get double baggage allowance anyway when you are emigrating. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    To be honest, I haven't heard particularly good reports about PE on ANZ:
    Well our experience was really good, but I suspect that a lot of that was due to being in that little section downstairs, which is pretty amazing. I could imagine that if you were upstairs (where the majority of the PE seats are) it's probably a lot less appealing.

As I said earlier, PE on Virgin was attrocious for us. I guess you will always get variability and people tend to talk about the negatives more than the good service.

I'm 6'6" and would never spend my own money on PE. No matter who you are flying with I find it just isn't worth the extra cost. If I had the cash to fly PE then I would spend 12 hours in an economy seat, a couple of days somewhere in the middle with the cash I would have spent on PE, and another 12 hours in an economy seat!

When we came out we went NZ1/2 so did the whole flight with only a couple of hours in the middle. Its a pain but not that bad!

Business, however, is a far better proposition but the cost is too much for us (hopefully sometime I'll be able to afford it!).

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    I'm 6'6" and would never spend my own money on PE. No matter who you are flying with I find it just isn't worth the extra cost. If I had the cash to fly PE then I would spend 12 hours in an economy seat, a couple of days somewhere in the middle with the cash I would have spent on PE, and another 12 hours in an economy seat!).
    I know what you mean, but we found that when travelling with young kids, breaking the journey for a couple of days was the worst thing to do. All that happened was that the total journey time got longer, the kids internal clocks got even more screwed up as they partially adjusted to the stopover location, nobody slept properly, and we had to handle another baggage collection and check in process. A two week stopover, on the other hand, was brilliant, but not always practical!

So almost as many different viewpoints as there are in the family.

Would not like to spend BC money, would rather have it for arrival. Might be nice to travel in (marginally) more comfort but neither of us are particularly long (his shoulder width is another matter, but if I put a child next to him it wont be a problem). At the weekend we were advised by science researchers at the Science Centre in Glasgow who were from the sleep clinic that the fastest way to get over jet lag is not to eat en route and start our bodies from scratch on NZ time when we get there.

Does that really mean I can't eat airline food???

Current thinking is to fly to London and have a couple of days there to show the boys the sites, fly to Singapore and a few days there and then fly to Christchurch. Hotel in Singapore will improve if we fly pure economy and if there is not that much difference it would probably be better to have the cash in Singapore. probably flying Singapore Airlines...

But plans can change....

I'll admit to being tempted to go for some form of PE. Not because of the extra few inches of space but because some of them have power sockets in the seats. Having a laptop up and running for the entire flight is worth the outlay.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast