Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any forumites in Wairarapa?

Default Any forumites in Wairarapa?

Hellooo....

My OH and I are seriously considering a move to Wairarapa (probably Featherston or Greytown to be close to train for commuting). Just wondering if there are any forum members loitering out there... Being nosey...

And any advice/comments happily received. Would be interested to know how you find the train service to Welly if you commute...?

Saskia

I’ve thought the same thing myself, it’s lovely out there.

The commute would be too much for me (into Wellington), oh and the entire earthquake in a tunnel under a mountain thing kinda scares me.

A friend has done the train trip a few times, she said it was ok, a bit like being on the tube in London.

Bob

Unhappy Wairarapa Woes!!!!

Hi there Saskia.

Although I live on the Wellington side of the Rimutaka Hill road that leads you to the Wairarapa, I pass through Greytown and Featherstone every Monday morning while taking my eldest son back to school in Masterton. It really is beautiful out there, but the commute to Welly is long (by car or train).

Unfortunately the train from Maymorn Station does not leave early enough for my son to reach school on time, so I therefore have to drive him approx 90 miles there and back. The drive is quite straightforward when you have got to grips with the Rimutaka Hill, which feels more like a mountain as you ascend higher and higher in the car. By the time you've reached the top your ears are fit to burst, and be warned, the first two excursions over the 'hill' require plenty of sickbags and roadside stops!!!

Here's a timetable link: http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/resource.../Wairarapa.pdf

We would have moved to Masterton, but that would mean the commute for hubby to Welly would have been just as long. My son currently boards the week so that has meant only one trip to the Wairarapa per week, but he has had enough (he's really homesick), so come next year, muggin's 'ere will be driving him to the Wairarapa daily!!! One consolation is that he will be able to catch the train home every day after school.

Hi

We're in rural Greytown now ... were in Featherston for a couple of years then moved up here and have been here for a couple of years.

Definitely wouldn't consider the move back in to Welly, we love it here and OH finds the commute relatively easy even 4 years on

Featherston despite it's looks is a great town, very friendly community feel and great property prices at the moment Our kids still go to St Teresas and there's no way we'd consider moving them. Greytown for me isn't as good, it feels very transient. At the weekends we seem to have the majority of Wellingtonians descend on the town to stay in their second homes and whilst it looks fantastic it really (for me) doesn't have the community feel that Featherston had. Also the property prices have held here and are still very high, 4 bed here average size section around $400+ mark easily, Featherston anywhere from $200+ upwards.

Train from Featherston in to Welly is an hour and has got considerably busier in the past 4 years. You'll find quite a few regulars who have been doing the journey for years and it's a great way to catch up with friends or work. There is one long tunnel, 7 minutes long but I have to say that's a benefit when traveling back from Wellington, coming through that tunnel when you reach the other side you almost here everyone exhale and the stress just disappearing, it's great seeing the Lake and finally knowing you're home

If you lived in Greytown bear in mind the station is out at Woodside, there is a bus that runs (included in the monthly ticket) or a lot of people either drive out or drive down to Featherston as they've got to get in the car anyway !

Any other questions fire away

Hey guys...

Thanks for all your responses.

We have been out 'to the other side' a few times... So yeah, I know what you mean about the Rimutaka Hill Arwen. I think I'd be sticking to the train for commuting. We know it would be a much longer commute to work, but for many of the reasons Sizzlingbadger points out, we think it would be worth it. (Was interested to hear you prefer Featherston to Greytown, and I can see why when you explain it. Good to know, thanks!). Also, my new job is in Lower Hutt, so about 40/45mins by train for me (Waterloo stop). Which I reckon would be fine. Hopefully OH would also eventually be able to find work in the Hutt area to cut down the commute.

Righto, well we're actually off for a jaunt to Masterton today and I'm looking forward to it. OH is looking at a clapped out ute (oh joy ) so we are already fully getting into the country bumpkin spirit of things! We'll be looking at rentals in Featherston this weekend. Can't wait! I love the open spaces out there... That's the NZ we came for.

Saskia

Hope you find what your looking for Saskia.

Have a lovely day in Masterton.

We live in Martinborough, surrounded by olive trees (ours) and vineyards (not ours!). Loveliest place over the hill to live IMHO.

Happy to make coffee/beer/wine if you want to drop by on your research tours. We have been here since Jan 07. My OH works in Wellington and she commutes daily.

PS Please don't judge us by Masterton....!!
    Last edited by Kiwi Mac; 19th November 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Hi Kiwi Mac...

Good to know you guys in M'Boro. We're definitely moving to Featherston in a couple of weeks. Found a nice 3 bed house... garden and everything! It'll make a lovely change from the small-ish and overpriced (IMHO) flat we're in at the moment!

Can't wait.

We could have a Wairarapa 'meet' sometime perhaps...But judging by the small number of responses it may be a little club! I don't mind... I bet you guys don't either.

Saskia

just out of curiority, how's schooling in featherston (primary)

NC

my folks basically live in greytown these days. i really like it up 'round those parts... it's amazing how much better the weather often is (compared to welly) i sometimes entertain thoughts of moving up there...

i've found the train perfectly fine... we'll no doubt be spending a decent amount of time in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast