Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise to New Zealand

The last time I did come to NZ though I drove the ship in and out of Auckland as we arrived and departed.
    That's quite a thing to have done. When you're a professional, do you still notice the place as beautiful, or is it just one among many?

i remember meeting a couple of kiwis who were doing a world cruise for some reason they were visiting the sleepy little town where i worked at the time when they were only off the ship for 1 day, never quite understood why.
    So its definitely possible but i'd imagine expensive.
    We considered working our way round on a ship, but not very practical with child in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by Madoxen View Post
    Thanks for the replys.

Have done some searching and have found a one way cruise from southhampton to Auckland taking 44 days and all inclusive with unlimited lugage leaving on the 5 jan2011 will set us back 13400.00 for 2 adults and 2 kids. did not think that was so expencive as includes all food drinks and about 15 excursions to destinations along the way. but is still a big wack of money.
    Hi Madoxen,
    My wife still has the dream of traveling to NZ by cargo ship. The price you've quoted is a little too rich for me. Is this price the price for a regular cruise?

How far did you get with investigating the cargo ship option?

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    Hi Madoxen,
    My wife still has the dream of traveling to NZ by cargo ship. The price you've quoted is a little too rich for me. Is this price the price for a regular cruise?

How far did you get with investigating the cargo ship option?
    Hi Rogercruse that was the price for an inside family cabin for the 4 of us to share it was inclusive of food drink shore trips 44 nights of accomodation and all activities i belive.

I did look into cargo ships and cargo company CGA and CMA do allow paying guests onto their ships to newzealnd it is a similar amount of time maybe a little quicker but you will have to stop at alot of commercial ports to load/unload and it works out at about £90 or $135 inc taxes per person per day (about £3600 )will look for the link for you .

http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/cma.htm

looks interesting however i have not found out if they alow children onboard.

m/v CMA CGM MATISSE and m/v CMA CGM UTRILLO (French flag, 1 Owners and 2 Double cabins, swimming pool, maximum 6 passengers) and

m/v CMA CGM LATOUR and m/v CMA CGM MANET (Bahamian flag, 1 Owners and 2 Double cabins- no pool, maximum 6 passengers).

Route: Tilbury - Rotterdam - Dunkirk - Le Havre - New York - Norfolk -Savannah - Manzanillo (Panama) - Panama Canal - Papeete (Tahiti) - Noumea (New Caledonia) - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Auckland -Manzanillo - Savannah - Philadelphia - Tilbury.

Note: Visas required for calls in the United States and Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    That's quite a thing to have done. When you're a professional, do you still notice the place as beautiful, or is it just one among many?

No, you do notice it, and it was fantastic. I actually took over the morning we were coming in at 0330, and had the pleasure of the passage down towards Auckland, and a fantastic sunset. A quick hour off at 8am, a bit of breakfast and changed into best suit and I then took over again for the drive in.

On leaving Auckland I once again drove out and we were then on passage to Sydney. That was a great experience as well. I had the ship coming in to the harbour where we parked at the Naval base close to the Botanical gardens, obviously close to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

It was my last day in the Royal Navy, I handed the ship to the Captain 100yards off the jetty then stood back, my service had in effect finished after 20 years. It made it more special though because my wife and two children were on the jetty to meet me (this was in May and I had left home in the January to go to the 2nd Gulf War).

kejktfc

In addition, the scariest port I drove in to was Mumbia in India, it was complete pandamonium............. kept you on our toes though

kejktfc

Quote Originally Posted by Madoxen View Post

looks interesting however i have not found out if they alow children onboard.
    Thanks for the update. We don't have any kids and knowing that there aren't any onboard is a plus.

The price is still too rich and we'll stick to business class flights.

can drive. google. UK to OZ. my folks are visiting and are driving here as part of an organized tour. only snagg is the australia to nz but sure you can find a ship?

There is a cargo ship that goes west coast Aus to NZ and back continuously if that helps them any

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12