Thread: Firewood info needed

Default Firewood info needed

We have a log burner like a lot of other people here in NZ. Its the first time we have lived with such, being from the UK we kinda got used to central heating so a softy really. After reading some useful threads on here and also some advice elsewhere we decided to buy some Manuka, got a couple of metres delivered and stacked and burns really well but how can i really be sure its Manuka? Also people have been saying we should be burning macrocarpa as its a heavy wood and lasts longer as well as burns hotter..........being in Tauranga our winters are no where near as bad as other areas but we seem to be using a lot of the manuka we have in a short period of time. Any advice on what has worked for others would be very gratefully received

by the way the reverse method of setting and lighting the fire really works although sceptics thats how we get it going every time we use it

I'm curious - what's the 'reverse method'??

Ditto, "reverse method"?

It's when you put the kindling on top of the logs I think. It's a bit more technical than that. My partner uses it successfully, but I can't make it work for me, I'm too slapdash.

Manuka is very heavy and usually has very recogniseable bark on the outside. The logs are often quite small and round. It burns well and is a really good firewood. i think the best firewood is gum. That's what we're using, and will be using for the next umpteen years since we felled 80 gum trees, and it's great. Very hot. I haven't tried macrocarpa. Most wood is ok as long as it's bone dry and seasoned.

Thanks SamB and yes reverse method is wood bottom, kindling then paper on top and works every time for us.

Do you mean Top Down Method?
    (post #16)

I use it, and it works everytime.

Nick.

That's an interesting thread.