Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkeys?

Takahe

Also, I have heard that the pigeons are good eat'n.

Wild turkeys are hunted here although not with such passion as in the US. They taste fine as long as they are not too old. A bit gamier than commercial birds, but nice enough.

If anyone finds a supplier of fresh commercial turkeys for Xmas in the Welly area I'd love to know - even our butcher only gets frozen ones so we usually have beef rib on the bone at Xmas instead.

If I could get a fresh gobbler that would make a change though.

You might find DOC chasing you up if you eat Takahe! There are only around 225 left in the world and they are severely protected!!

I think Blue Chicken refers to the very common Pukeko.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    You might find DOC chasing you up if you eat Takahe! There are only around 225 left in the world and they are severely protected!!

I think Blue Chicken refers to the very common Pukeko.
    Pukeko. Thats what I was looking for. Thanks

Is it really referred to as a blue chicken. I thought it was just us calling it that.

The Pigeon's are protected to.

I was just telling OH about this thread... maybe we should take up turkey farming when we get there!

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    The Pigeon's are protected to.
    The New Zealand Pigeon (Woodpigeon) is protected but the common Rock Pigeon is not.

Ian

I hate to say that- but maybe it is time to change old habits

We would usually have goose for Christmas, but you cannot (or only with great difficulties) get those here, so we have to find a substitute...., but since lamb for example tastes so good, why not go for that? I am not sure which special rituals or reasons are connected with turkey for Thanksgiving, but you might be able to just change the main course...., what about (a couple or more of) those huge chickens>

You can eat pukeko or so I am told.

Like normal pigeons, the breast is the only bit worth bothering with - leave the rest in the field for the hawks.

I think grocery prices will need to rise even more before I resort to it though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    You can eat pukeko or so I am told.

Like normal pigeons, the breast is the only bit worth bothering with - leave the rest in the field for the hawks.

I think grocery prices will need to rise even more before I resort to it though!!
    AFAIK, the Pukeko are partially protected but can be legally harvested during the duck shooting season.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Turkey is simply not a kiwi xmas tradition as is is in many other countrys.
    A friend shot 13 semi wild ones last weekend and just left them in the bush for the wild pigs. They probably wouldnt be the best eating anyway, given what they are feeding on, but it seems a huge waste of a resource to me.
    From what I can make out, Turkey hunting is HUGE in some parts of the US.
    Perhaps there is a niche market in here somewhere.
    Why would you shoot something you had no intention of using? Escapes me. The only reason I can see for hunting something is to use it. If we were to kill a turkey you would find it in our oven.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast