Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys?

I would guess that they are considered a pest in some areas?

Last year, I bought a turkey in January, I think. It was marked down to $20, I think. May have been like $27.

I figure they pull out the frozen turkeys for the americans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. What they don't sell for $75, they eventually mark down to get rid of it.

We did not eat any $75 birds last year--skipping turkey for thanksgiving and christmas. We ate "thanksgiving" in January when I got the bird on sale.

its going to be to hot to want a roast turkey, surely, i'd much rather get one of those midwinter!

My family normally do a leg of lamb on the BBQ at Christmas time.

Last year was a big family Christmas so I BBQ'd a whole salmon on Christmas Eve and then did a leg of lamb and some sausages on Christmas Day. We did also do a small turkey in the oven but mainly for OH's benefit. This year will be a smaller affair so we'll just do the BBQ lamb.

Sorry, the suggestion of doing something other than Turkey at Thanksgiving just doesn't work. For xmas, yes but not Thanksgiving aka Turkey Day in the US. But with that said we won't be doing Thanksgiving here. My family was just asking about it and I said Turkey is too expensive and no one else around me, including my partner, thinks twice about it so it takes all the fun away. Thanksgiving was a BIG holiday for my family and I always really miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Park City Partner View Post
    Sorry, the suggestion of doing something other than Turkey at Thanksgiving just doesn't work. For xmas, yes but not Thanksgiving aka Turkey Day in the US. But with that said we won't be doing Thanksgiving here. My family was just asking about it and I said Turkey is too expensive and no one else around me, including my partner, thinks twice about it so it takes all the fun away. Thanksgiving was a BIG holiday for my family and I always really miss it.
    I agree.
    It is weird for it to be almost summer and no family gathering (apart from my immediate family--OH and kids) so Thanksgiving was not really missed last year. I mean, it didn't feel like Thanksgiving so we didn't really miss it.

But I got that turkey on sale and we had a big "thanksgiving" dinner on a random date. It was delicious.

Thanksgiving has just become one of the things we left behind.

(BTW, we have a big "Christmas" type winter holiday for the kids on July 4--trying to pass on to the kids some of the stuff we loved about our childhoods--We call it "Snow Week" and we have presents and go skiing. It was great. This year, I may buy some lights on sale after the holidays and use them for next "snow week") (and the americans will know why we chose July 4!!)

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll let you all know if I find a turkey deal. I've got a few feelers out, so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    I agree.

(BTW, we have a big "Christmas" type winter holiday for the kids on July 4--trying to pass on to the kids some of the stuff we loved about our childhoods--We call it "Snow Week" and we have presents and go skiing. It was great. This year, I may buy some lights on sale after the holidays and use them for next "snow week") (and the americans will know why we chose July 4!!)
    nice! I think we will have to make some kind of Winter holiday for ourselves in NZ when the time comes...will the neighbors think I'm strange if I put up lights and a tree in July?

No, Ana, I don't think so! There are others having a Midwinter Christmas..., we did it once with friends in Dunedin, even had a ham and exchanged little presents! It felt more like Christmas than the real one!

A tree and lights in July is no more bizarre than doing it in the middle of summer!!
    I don't understand why you would go to the trouble of putting any kind of lights up here. It doesn't get dark until 11 pm in the summer! When would you see the lights?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast