Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Freeview Box in NZ....

Default UK Freeview Box in NZ....

Hi

Will a UK freeview box or a UK TV with integrated freeview work in NZ ??

I'm looking at a new 40" LCD which has built in freeview (uk) and it's around £300 cheaper in the UK than NZ..

But would it work ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Hi

Will a UK freeview box or a UK TV with integrated freeview work in NZ ??

I'm looking at a new 40" LCD which has built in freeview (uk) and it's around £300 cheaper in the UK than NZ..

But would it work ???

Thanks
    Been posted on the forum before but UK Freeview is not the same as NZ Freeview so unless it can cope with NZ version it won't be compatible.

Ian

Thanks.. After reading some posts I assumed that would be the case.

Now I need to decide whether it is worth buy the TV in the UK and adding NZ freeview/sky when we get there.

Any advice is welcome !!

Buy it here we got a good deal on our 42" and was considerably cheaper than the UK.

Check out www.harveynorman.co.nz and www.noelleeming.co.nz which seem to do the most advertising and they will give you an idea of costs.

Factor in bargaining down too, you don't pay the advertised price

Thanks

Factor in bargaining down too, you don't pay the advertised price
    So not like the UK then !!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Thanks

So not like the UK then !!
    ??? You can bargain in the UK, just may not be as commonly done. Not many things that I'd not consider asking for a discount on. Any shop that offers a 10% NUS discount for example - clear signal that they can simply ring that through at 10% off if you ask, you jsut need to do it in a way that makes the assistant want to do that for you.

Shopping in independent places is good, they will often be more flexible in what they can do without needing to resort to a manager. But even Curry's etc, then they can (and do) discount if you find the right words to say at the right time.

My favourite barter was in one of these discount computer shops. On a copy of OEM Vista (ie no margin anyway). Ok, was only £1.50 off £45, but it all adds up ;-)

Just remember, that you've no rights to a discount, so don't take it personally if they so no, and if the price is fair then consider buying anyway, don't just storm off and pay more elsewhere to spite them. Their job is to sell stuff, your role is to buy stuff at the lowest prie you can.

Supermarkets you need to demonstrate damaged packaging, etc, and it's definitely cheating to rip it yourself!
    Last edited by Duncan74; 17th November 2009 at 03:17 AM.

I've found the best bet is to buy when your here.
    Not all uk tele's will work here properly.
    Plasma and lcd's are cheap as now and it not worth the trouble
    of paying to get it here, then going without a TV for god knows how
    many weeks until your stuuff arrives.
    When you go to buy one look for the ones on special. aske if thats the best price
    they can do and if they say yes tell them that if they can cut some off the price
    you'll take it, if not you'll be happy to look elsewhere.
    Always compare the best price from a couple of stores and tell each one what
    the others can do it at.
    Harvey norman will usually do you a deal as will JD-hifi and Dick Smiths.
    Freeview down here aint cheap (about 200 bucks) and the channels are crap (seriously crap)
    get sky instead

Quote Originally Posted by colandros View Post
    I've found the best bet is to buy when your here.
    Not all uk tele's will work here properly.
    Plasma and lcd's are cheap as now and it not worth the trouble
    of paying to get it here, then going without a TV for god knows how
    many weeks until your stuuff arrives.
    When you go to buy one look for the ones on special. aske if thats the best price
    they can do and if they say yes tell them that if they can cut some off the price
    you'll take it, if not you'll be happy to look elsewhere.
    Always compare the best price from a couple of stores and tell each one what
    the others can do it at.
    Harvey norman will usually do you a deal as will JD-hifi and Dick Smiths.
    Freeview down here aint cheap (about 200 bucks) and the channels are crap (seriously crap)
    get sky instead
    Is there anyway i can find out if my tv will work. I have a panasonic plasma (2 or three years old now)and if its not going to work i would prefer to know now so i can sell before. Not worried about the built in receiver as we use an external receiver with hard drive which goes into it

Thanks

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Is there anyway i can find out if my tv will work. I have a panasonic plasma (2 or three years old now)and if its not going to work i would prefer to know now so i can sell before. Not worried about the built in receiver as we use an external receiver with hard drive which goes into it.

Phil

A 3 year old panasonic plasma will be fine, but you will probably have to change the TV card in your receiver (if a PC) or get a new one if you want freeview (check the standards). Note that quite a lot of non-main-centre NZ (e.g. Nelson) has only satellite freeview. We have a 12 year old UK (therefore PAL) Sony TV that the children use - it can't receive TV but with a receiver box it is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast