Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uk prison officers being recruited

Default uk prison officers being recruited

Hi

Just a little bit about ourselves first..we are paul 37, laura 37, katie 10 and hattie 7.we live in herne bay,kent.
    Paul(hubby) is a uk prison officer and is currently going through the recruitment process for an NZ corrections officer,i would be really interested to hear from anyone else who is also considering going to NZ as a corrections officer..
    we are looking to go either to hawkes bay or hamilton.
    eldest daughter is not over enthusiastic as has just got a place from september in a school she was desperate to go to...youngest wants to go as someone told her she could ride a horse to school ..mmm!!

we have not submitted EOI yet as paul hasn't actually been offered a job yet and i hope i'm not getting too excited too early..but we REALLY want to go!!!!

laura

Laura

Can't offer any info on prision officers but I can say welcome to the forum.

You're right on the first step of the immigration ladder and the climb from here on will do more than make you dizzy - but I can asure you it will be worth it.

Your daughter is not the first forumite offspring to kick against the move, bit by bit she'll come around to the idea. Another member's daughter was really anti moving to NZ, they've recently been over there for a holiday and now she's chomping at the bit to get back there. It's a massive 'adventure' for all concerned. We learnt right from day 1 that there has to be alot of give and take and alot of trust in our instincts. I'm sure you will come through the process just as well as everybody else.

Abit scary though isn't it.

Good luck.

Diny

Paul and Laura you are not friends of a guy called Kevin who teaches at Cant erbury College are you??
    I work with Kevin and I have my PR and will be moving to Auckland in the next couple of months , and Kevin said that he has a good friend who is a prison officer who is thinking of going to NZ!!!
    If you are his friends :eek :eek spooky small world

Good God..i think we might be the very people!!!! :eek
    Kevin did mention he knew someone moving to NZ...a very small world indeed!!!
    we're still at the very early stages..i have family in Auckland..whereabouts in Auckland are you headed?

Laura

Hello Paul and Laura and welcome to the forum.

I notice you are headed for Hawkes Bay or Hamilton, however I thought I would just mention that there is a new prison opening in Northland. They are doing a gradual recruitment drive, but it has just opened and they are still recruiting, PO's are doing about 6 weeks training in Wellington before starting work.

The prison is just outside Kaikohe, not sure of its name but starts Nga.... (sorry!) Northland may not be your cup of tea, just thought I would mention it.

Good luck with your journey.

Amanda

Hi Amanda

thanks for that..we have looked into Northland..looked at kerikeri but rentals seem few and far between...i've been looking at just about everywhere in NZ that has a prison!! :
    I am intending to do a nursing degree when i get there and i like the course at hawkes bay as well as the weather and schools!!

laura

Default Prison officers

Don't want to put you off or anything but there was a bit on the radio news in Auckland last night about prision officers that had been recruited from overseas, some of them were complaining that they weren't getting enough help settling in from the goverment. They'd basicaly been dumped straight in at the deep end. The piece was mainly about staff recruited from the PI's, but said that UK staff very involved too.

They had a guy on from the Officers union on, then a guy from the goverement saying that they were going to try harder.

Thanks for the info above...we do know that there is no relocation package,not that we thought there would be as any money would have to come from the NZ taxpayer...
    The line fron the corrections dept is that the lure of a new life in NZ is enough and they don't need to offer any additional help(financial or other) as they expect to be inundated with uk prison officers jumping at the chance to go.
    I have to say that this is our ONLY chance to go as we would not have enough points otherwise .
    The salary is far less than the uk, taking exchange rate into account and i would also be giving up my part-time salary.
    we will wait to see if paul actually is offered a job and then make our decision...I really want a better quality of life for the children and a more laidback lifestyle!!! :cool

laura

Hi Laura we are headed to the Hibiscus Coast area My wife (Trudy) s parents live there and it seems a very nice area we have visited there many times in the last12 years and although the property prices are dearer its a fantastic place to be far enough from the city (30 mins by car 20 by motorcycle ) but its not too far from civilisation,

Default nz prison officers

Hi Paul and Laura , have pm'd you , we live in Herne Bay too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast