Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White tail spider

But they're harmless to humans.

HOLY MOLY! That's a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything you can do to avoid getting these mammoths...and don't say "don't emigrate ???

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    But they're harmless to humans.
    lol...I take it you're excluding what happens after I scream, fall over backwards, bang my head and end up in A&E after an encounter with one of those!

That's the human doing that, not the spider! (I know, I know, I grew up around a mother who freaked out at spiders. She says I used to say, 'Don't be frightened, Mummy,' as I took them out. My children aren't as bad as her, though not exactly keen, so I'm pleased to say my granddaughter doesn't take after her Dad in this. )

You could move to the South Island. Amongst its many other attractions it has hardly any spiders of note. Certainly never seen or heard of whitetails.

Oh my word - that HUGE spider! I love Landcare Research's description: The first reaction of most people on finding Avondale spiders is usually horror. The spiders move very fast when disturbed (as do people when frightened!)

Quote Originally Posted by macs gold View Post
    You could move to the South Island. Amongst its many other attractions it has hardly any spiders of note. Certainly never seen or heard of whitetails.
    You might get fewer spiders but don't you trump North Island on the shark front? I certainly won't be swimming in the Foveaux Strait after the article I read on Great Whites in the New Zealand Geographic!

Quote Originally Posted by macs gold View Post
    Not according to Wiki...
    The spiders have been introduced in New Zealand with Lampona murina residing in the North Island for over a hundred years while Lampona cylindrata has become widespread throughout the South Island since 1980.
    Ian

I LOVE spiders!!!

I hate spiders!!!!

Kim

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast