Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White tail spider

Default White tail spider

We lived in Hawkes Bay for two years and I don't think we saw a single white tail. Then we lived in Oz and shared our garden with a few orb weavers (who made webs as large as me overnight and then took them down again the next day) and the odd huntsman, but had no 'incidents'.

Since arriving in the Waikato I've seen them all over. My house is fair riddled- I even found one crawling up my seat belt heading for my cleavage as I was driving the other day- my oldest daughter has been bitten by one (not here- in Hawkes Bay ironically) producing a large red area and small ulcer for a few days and I found the cat chasing one up the hall as we headed for bed last night.

So I'm thinking for the first time of getting our home sprayed. Anyone have any recommendations or advice? I'm a bit reluctant because it seems counter intuitive to spray the house with chemicals to make it safe

Here's the rogue if you've not yet seen one:

We had a lot of White tails when we first moved into this house on Napier Hill.

I found that keeping the house clear of all spiders webs, inside and outside, has stopped them.
    I read somewhere that they hunt & feed on other spiders.

We also have a robocan, and that might help keep em away.

Not seen one here for a while.

Nick.

We've had 2 both been bought in though from Taupo & our architect, well that's what I'm saying. A Robocan should do the trick though, ours has run low, OH saying there's a bit left so not turned the new one on & the spiders are out in force which could then bring in the white tailed if they are around here

This thread has just horrified me. I thought it was only Aus that had horrible horrible spiders (one of THE main reasons we chose NZ to emigrate to).

Please reassure me that horrible insects aren't the norm in NZ, otherwise I may have to reconsider the idea of moving....!

Well there's a lot of interesting insects here. As far as I know the white tail is the only really poisonous one.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Well there's a lot of interesting insects here. As far as I know the white tail is the only really poisonous one.
    I thought that all spiders were poisonous?

From wikipedia...
    They are known to bite humans and effects may include local pain, a red mark, local swelling and itchiness; very occasionally nausea, vomiting, malaise or headache may occur. Ulcers and necrosis have been attributed to the bites, but a scientific study by Isbister and Gray (2003) showed these were probably caused by something else, as the study of 130 white-tailed spider bites found no necrotic ulcers or confirmed infections.
    Personally have more trouble with sandflys.

Ian

We live in New Zealand now since 2005 and I have not once seen a white tail spider! And I hate spiders, so sure I would have discovered them!
    For all those who have problems with those crawling insects- I guess the further south you are, the better......- no problems at all in Dunedin

I've see a few, mainly indoors. I have just caught them and put them out. I'm with Ian, I'll keep white-tips and lose the pesky sand flies.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    In perspective, we're talking poisonous in about the same way as a bee or a wasp is poisonous.

I've killed several white tails in our house - they're not really worth getting excited about, although saying that they do run pretty fast and they're good at going to ground, so you have raise your game. The last one I got was walking up the wall behind my computer display one night. When I poked at it with a rolled up newspaper it jumped onto the desk and ran straight at me. Eek!

I have far more dislike for sand flies and black flies and whatever else bites me regularly and leaves me itching; there just aren't that many white tails.

Have to say, there are some fantastic insects in NZ. I particularly like the huge variety of spider wasps - some are beautiful copper coloured things, like elegant little machines.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast