Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking after kids

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    I used to childmind years ago in the UK and had to have a police check, a council check and also a check by the firebrigade on the health and safety. and that was just to register. Be very curious if there is no regulations here, anybody else know anything on it.
    Cannot find anything Veronica on this :? Had a look in the paper and people are asking for people to look after there kids with NO mention of police checks or registration :eek
    My friend was a childminder in the UK too and she had to go through quite alot to be allowed to do this, thats why I was asking. Find it hard to believe there are no regs on this.

I emailed barnardos and they are not covering the area I live unfortunately

Joanne

Why not just get some police checks done anyway and show them to those that want you to look after their kids? Will show you are of good character and have had the forethought to know that they would be concerned about who their kids were being left with?

Have you done this sort of thing before in the UK? If so, could you get some references sent over?

The only thing I'd worry about is if little Johnny had an accident or incident and the parent got antsy about it - what would you have to fall back on as proof that you were doing all you could to ensure the childs safety - accidents do happen and not all parents are going to be the sort to accept that Johnny was a clumsy clot and would put all the blame on you?

Just a thought :P

Going off topic a bit, and perhaps I'm showing my true british instincts, but should this perhaps be a word of warning to us parents? Over here you can almost assume that childminders are generally decent people, and been vetted for the job. You would need to trust your gut feeling more, and be more carefull about who you leave your children with. I guess this ties in with the more laid back approach to childcare in general, such as the threads on children at school. Just because everyone over here is police checked (ie even the appointed parent members of our pre-school committee are vetted) we shouldn't assume it's the same everywhere.

Emily

Good point, if there really isn't any regulatory procedures for childminders in NZ (I really can't believe there aren't any :? ) then would you really want to trust your gut instinct?? I know I wouldn't. I read the papers..... :?

Off to Google to see what I can find...

Looks like your local authority might be able to help you out with some facts on childminding regs... found this which would suggest there is some sort of "register" of childminders:

What sort of child care should I choose?Give yourself plenty of time to research the different options available and to select the right child care for your family. Most local authorities provide day nurseries for pre-school children which are either free or relatively low cost but there is strong pressure on places. An alternative is a private nursery - check which local nursery is most likely to suit your child and how much they charge. Details of registered childminders who look after your child in their own homes for part or all of the working day can be obtained from your local authority. Nannies should have a recognised child care qualification and are expensive which is why many mothers get together and set up a share.
    ( Source: http://www.kellyservices.co.nz/main....&site_id=2 )

I,m a registered childminder in uk .

I needed police checks [and my hubby too ] ,insurence ,first aid course ,house checked every 2 years ,[by ofsted ],

Marie x

$15-18 per hour for cleaning!!! Now, where did I put that duster.....???

$15-$18 per hour for cleaning, that pardon the pun, is a load of rubbish.
    I worked for anz bank in wellington, doing a good accounts job, dealing with millions of $$'s of deposits & got paid $18 per hour.
    Pior to this, i was worried about getting a job, so contacted an office removals company, literally shifting office desks etc, that was $10 per hour, luckily i didn't have to take it in the end. Everyone i knew who working in banks / government offices was on around $15-18 per hour,
    $15-$18 an hour for a cleaner, as Jim Royle used to say 'my ****.

If thats the case, how come there's people on here moaning they're skint.

How fast can you iron ? This service charges c. $2.25 - $2.75 per garment

http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/increas...e/Service.html

Good cleaners, reliable cleaners are really hard to come by!!!!

I pay my cleaner £10 per hour / £20 per week (well i bet she does more than 2 hours but that is all i ask her to do)

It is well worth it !!

I paid her £16 a week last year but we wanted to pay her more, even though she didnt complain when we moved to a bigger house, in fact she was concerned that i might not want her anymore if i was tight for money.

I have had loads of cleaners at home and at work and they are so so hard to come by (a good one that is!!!)

Before anyone says £20 a week is peanuts - she is a family friend but i paid a professional cleaner £16 a week before and they were rubbish!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast