Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking after kids

Default Looking after kids

Does anybody know what the rules are about childminding?

Now that the kids are both at school been thinking about maybe looking after a child through the day.
    Thinking it might be the perfect little job for me. Leaves me still able to make all the hospital appointments with Caitlin. :?

Kind of missing having kids around me, sad I know , I would imagine it is really low paid but as I can't commit to any job, anything is better than nothing at the minute

Just not sure how it works out here. Any info much appreciated

Joanne

Hi

I have looked into this and if you put.. banardos kidstart home based care..into google it'll come up with the site you need..i would have posted the link here but couldn't get it to work :

laura

Thanks Laura, I'll take a look now

Joanne

Try inquiring at the local council too, they are the ones who used to monitor it in the UK.

Lots of people advertise in the local papers to have their children looked after or you can put your own add in. Also word of Mouth through School/Kindy is a good way to go about it too.

I'm a Kiwi and have done this after school. The rate is $5per hr per child.

Don't you need to be registered and to have a police check done before you can work in any way with children.

Not that I know of. I know lots of people that do this.
    Maybe if you were going to look after say 10 kids then it would be a different story.
    You can also say take in people's Ironing (that's if you like it) and get paid $12hr. Or clean people's houses and get paid between $15-18 an hr.
    It's all cash in hand too.
    A lot of woman do this to fill in time while their kids are at school.

Yeah thats fair enough on the other stuff BUT what safeguards are there for children from preditory people just taking in kids. Is there no regulation at all.

Default looking after kids

my partner has been offered a job (which she's taking) working for a company called new zealand pre school personnel.
    Thi is basically working in nursery or kindergartens & they do require a police check from the uk & in 2003 when she worked there, she had to have one from nz police too, even though when she started, we'd only been there a month or so.
    Can't say regarding one off looking after kids, but i cant imagine that to be registered they wouldn't make you have a police check.

I used to childmind years ago in the UK and had to have a police check, a council check and also a check by the firebrigade on the health and safety. and that was just to register. Be very curious if there is no regulations here, anybody else know anything on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast