Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day (and shorter) walks in the Waikato

Default Day (and shorter) walks in the Waikato

Do you know of any? We're particularly interested in where you can go for a walk (rather than a full on tramp) with a couple of kids and also where you can go with a couple of kids and the dog (we don't mind leaving her at home sometimes but like her to come along sometimes too). We like tramping too but it's easy to find info on multi day and massive walks- but I really miss UK footpaths and lanes and OS maps- just ambling out for a couple of hours

OK, partially answered my own question

http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/docume...-factsheet.pdf

Anyone know anything over and above what this factsheet offers?

Yes, there are lots!

The Waihou river walkway near Putaruru is stunning - it's a spring fed river, crystal blue, and has a nice easy grade approx 5 km walk along it, you can make it circular if you don't mind going back on a very quiet road, this would make it a longer walk. Lots of dogs here. Here's a pic:

There are lots of walks all over Maungatautari, 15 mins from Cambridge. It's a predator-free wildlife sanctuary and is surrounded by a 40 something km long pest proof fence - so no dogs here, but lots of lovely birds.

Maungakawa - 5 minutes out of Cambridge has an hour long circular walk with named trees in the bush and good views over Cambridge from the top. Maybe dogs here?

Loads of walks out Raglan way - beaches and bush. Big, empty, ironstone beaches, or behind is a scenic reserve with a hefty, 6 hour tramp to the top of Mount ..... Kari...something (forgotten exact name)

Waitomo - walks galore around the Waitomo area, lots of them with cool limestone caves and glow worms too. See my recent thread called 'you've got to go here'

Great 30 minute circular boardwalk just outside Te Awamutu through a remaining stand of Kahikatea trees. Very easy for kids. It's called 'Yarndley's Bush' and is very atmospheric with amazing knarled twisted tree roots, and the trees swaying in the wind above your heads.

Waikere Falls - 45 mins from Cambridge, through Matamata and out to the Kaimais. Great but exerting 1 and a half hour walk to the top of the Kaimais and views over a double-tiered waterfall. Seen lots of dogs on this walk, and trodden in their offerings too.

Pic:

View from top

Pirongia - walks galore all over this mountain, including a 45 minute circular nature trail. No dogs I think....

I'm sure I'll think of more.
    Last edited by Sam B; 2nd May 2009 at 07:11 PM.

Nearby mountain, 40 mins away, (hill by UK standards) called Kakepuku, is lovely fairly steep climb up thro' bush; several small scenic reserves within 1 hr's drive with gorgeous bush.

In Camb. itself, around Lake Te Koutu and even along the walkways here and there is nice. Funny thing is we thought we'd really miss footpaths but not yet. In fact walking thro' the grid system of streets in Cambridge East is actually very pleasant.

Should have put 'Wairere Falls', not Waikere Falls (too lazy to move from sofa and look it up and hadn't looked at your fact sheet, which had them all on anyway - durr!

The river walks in both Cambridge and Hamilton are really nice (Cambridge one can be a bit dog pooey for an obsessive like me) and Hamilton Gardens is a cool place to walk around too.

Thank you so much for your reply Sam- with photos too! That's the first time I've printed a thread but it's awful when you arrive and are desperate for a walk and don't want to think about where- thanks!

I'm with you on the dog poo issue- it drives me nuts.

Thank you to Carey too

Yep, can confirm that the The Waihou Stream Walkway is fabulous:

Maungatautari Southern Enclosure is incredible (we even saw Hihis feeding!):

Maungakawa is our favourite high spot for a picnic tea or a sunny evening run about with the dog (this was taken in spring and it's a shame you can't see the Tuis as the cherry tree was literally full of them and very noisy they were too!):

I can also recommend Ruapuke beach (about 25mins gravel road drive from Raglan) if you have four paws and like a deserted beach to romp around on and dig up:

So far I am LOVING the walking opportunities here in the Waikato- so much variety so near by.

Mmmm nice pics, must visit them all again soon.

Default Wow! Can't wait to get there!

Thanks for posting walk suggestions and beautiful pics. The Waikato looks gorgeous, I can't wait to move there.
    Bridget

I would definitely recommend Bridal Veil Falls, near Raglan. This is our favorite waterfall so far. It's a short hike to the falls and then you can take another walk all the way down to a viewing area at the base.

Also, we went to see Wairere Falls last week and it was quite dried up (about 1/4 of what it normally is, if that). I would definitely recommend going in the spring, not now.
    Last edited by globetrecker; 5th January 2010 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast