Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which removal company

Default Which removal company

I've had 3 quotes from removal companies so far and am wondering which one to use. My guess is that all have made mistakes in the past and that they are much of a muchness assuming I use one that is a member of the trade organisations. Can anyone offer recommendations or who to avoid?
    (PM me if necessary)
    Thanks
    Kevin

(evesdrops and hopes that no-one resorts to whispering).

Assuming this is UK>NZ?

Certainly is...
    I could mention who was the most impressive salesman but I don't think it's the best idea on a google indexed public forum!
    Certainly the advice about my Ikea untreated wood shelving has been 1 saying it must be painted, another thinking it may be a problem and the 3rd saying it's fine - I emailed MAF about this who suggested they wanted to inspect it but as long as it's clean and insect free it is fine.
    2 out of 3 salesmen said importing my car was OK, another said I'd have to pay duty on it!!!!
    Maybe the option is to comment on who did a good job and the lack of a comment means beware?

OOI can you share with us any prices, so i might get a rough idea of costs for a rough quantity

This question is asked a lot, I am not going to make any recommendation but think it is worthwhile talking through what actually happens when your belongings are shipped to New Zealand so that the part played by the moving company is understood.

1. You engage a company to ship all your stuff to New Zealand.
    2. The company sends its staff to your house to pack all your stuff into boxes.
    3. Company staff load those boxes into a container (at your house if you have your own container or at their premises if you are using groupage).
    4. The company delivers the container to a shipping company (probably Mearsk) at a port in the UK.

After this point the company that you have engaged have nothing more to do with your stuff unless you use Crown who have operations at the NZ end.

5. The shipping company loads the container onto a ship which will probably take it to Singapore. There the container will be unloaded and wait for another ship to take it to New Zealand.

6. An agent at the NZ end (probably NZ VanLines) unless you are using Crown who will do it themselves, receive the container from the port, deal with the customs formalities, charge you some more money, then deliver your stuff to you in New Zealand.

So that is a long winded way of saying that I don't think there is going to be so much difference between the moving companies.

IMO most of the major shipping companies are OK at the UK end....as has been said above, the service you'll recieve NZ end will depend upon the partner companies unless you use a company, like Crown, who have operations both end. Read up on these NZ partners.....the service people have recieved is very variable....we has an awful service 2 and a half years ago.

Also remember that you can bargain down the quotes.....pcik your favourite company and then get them to match or beat your cheapest quote....most will these days

And lastly, if you have any concerns about what you can and can't bring talk directly to MAF (in writing preferably so you have a record)...they are very helpful and the advice we were given by most shipping companies was very inaccurate. We brought all of our garden tools and furniture, along with some outdoor plant pots (washed and sterilised first) as well as wood items, wicker and sea grass, all of our kitchen herbs and spices and the contents of our booze cupboard....all was inspected by MAF etc and not one item was a problem.

we're in the same situation.. i.e. have received quotes from 3 companies to move from the UK to NZ.. we're wanting to ship some stuff which i guess is out of the ordinary, so it's been interesting to compare the different answers regarding what they think is the best way to go about it.

my impression is also that they're basically the same.. i think we'll make our decision primarily based on the "gut feeling" we've gotten when corresponding with them.

We have had two quotes uk-chch and waiting on a third for Jan. The first two quotes £200 difference so expect the third to be around the same. Two said 20ft container and one has said theres no way we would get our stuff in that, 40ft would be needed.
    Will go with best price and customer service as a whole company - not just the salesman who comes around.
    Anglo, Bonner and Robinsons (not in any order either).
    Anyone had good/bad experiences with these??

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    We brought all of our garden tools and furniture, along with some outdoor plant pots (washed and sterilised first) as well as wood items, wicker and sea grass, all of our kitchen herbs and spices and the contents of our booze cupboard....all was inspected by MAF etc and not one item was a problem.
    That's good to know! I didn't really like the idea of losing my herb/spice rack contents, though I'm sure someone on Freecycle would appreciate them

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    That's good to know! I didn't really like the idea of losing my herb/spice rack contents, though I'm sure someone on Freecycle would appreciate them
    Our spices got through fine. But remember, no seeds...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast