Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Guide to VOIP, SIP etc

Default Beginners Guide to VOIP, SIP etc

Hi guys, I'm fairly good at finding out how to do techy stuff and doing it.So I don't need anything too detailed, but cold someone give me a simple set of pointers to VOIP, SIP, etc.

In particular, is it an alternative to a NZ landline, or do people use it primarily for cheap overseas calls?

VOIP and SIP are the protocols that are used to set-up and also carry the voice data across the internet.

The most popular is skype ... which we use a lot of.

You will require an internet connection ... so you have the choice of mobile broadband, or fixed (requires a phoneline).

We use Telstra and have landline, and internet. Skype to skype calls are free. (So our folks back in the UK have skype also installed onto their PCs). You can also buy credit, and use skype to use landlines at a much reduced cost.

HTH,

Lou

Personally I wouldn't worry on the techie piece just the end solution i.e. loewest cost, highest quality calling you can get that meets your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by aboylikedave View Post
    In particular, is it an alternative to a NZ landline, or do people use it primarily for cheap overseas calls?
    There are some services using SIP such as 2Talk and iTalk (I think they are the same company but with products packaged differently) which allows you to get local regional numbers as your dial-in number, so it can be an alternative to NZ land lines.

However the trick lies in obtaining broadband access. In many places the only way you can get broadband is via ADSL, which requires you to have a "live" land line connection with Telecom. The ISP will often package this together in a Phone Line + Broadband one-bill package, but underlying the package is actually a ~$40 Telecom line rental fee. This is slowly changing with some places offering cable and "naked" DSL which requires no "live" land line with Telecom but the roll-out has slow.

Quality with a VoIP phone call varies greatly. Sometimes I get really clear and instant voice, but sometimes I get the horrible lag.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    There are some services using SIP such as 2Talk and iTalk (I think they are the same company but with products packaged differently) which allows you to get local regional numbers as your dial-in number, so it can be an alternative to NZ land lines.

However the trick lies in obtaining broadband access. In many places the only way you can get broadband is via ADSL, which requires you to have a "live" land line connection with Telecom. The ISP will often package this together in a Phone Line + Broadband one-bill package, but underlying the package is actually a ~$40 Telecom line rental fee. This is slowly changing with some places offering cable and "naked" DSL which requires no "live" land line with Telecom but the roll-out has slow.

Quality with a VoIP phone call varies greatly. Sometimes I get really clear and instant voice, but sometimes I get the horrible lag.
    I see. This has got me thinking, I curently have a cable modem and a wireless router. With ADSL I'll need a router/modem. And the same with naked DSL? As they'll be cheaper in the UK before I come out I guess I should buy one here...

With ADSL I'll need a router/modem. And the same with naked DSL?
    Yea, "live" and "naked" DSL uses the same modem. Just make sure it's a ADSL2+ standard and it'll be good to go. I did the same by buying one before coming over to NZ almost two years ago, but found that I've never used it. When I was flatting I'd choose flats that have already gotten broadband all set up (you'll never know when Telecom would tell you "sorry your area is full and there can be no more new broadband connections"), and when I'm living alone I've used Vodafone's 3G broadband and now TelstraClear's cable broadband.

Yea, "live" and "naked" DSL uses the same modem. Just make sure it's a ADSL2+ standard and it'll be good to go. I did the same by buying one before coming over to NZ almost two years ago, but found that I've never used it. When I was flatting I'd choose flats that have already gotten broadband all set up (you'll never know when Telecom would tell you "sorry your area is full and there can be no more new broadband connections"), and when I'm living alone I've used Vodafone's 3G broadband and now TelstraClear's cable broadband.
    Have they got Cable in Auckland yet?

I see. This has got me thinking, I curently have a cable modem and a wireless router. With ADSL I'll need a router/modem. And the same with naked DSL? As they'll be cheaper in the UK before I come out I guess I should buy one here...
    Most broadband contracts include free modem with the package, or a better one if you pay a little more, so it may actually be better to wait and see.

One advantage of using the ISP provided one is that if you do need some support then they are better trained on their own equipment, and the plug will be the correct one also

Ian

Have they got Cable in Auckland yet?
    Apparently not - Auckland needs to catch up to Christchurch in terms of offering real broadband speeds Auckland does have a big roll-out of naked DSL though.

Apparently not - Auckland needs to catch up to Christchurch in terms of offering real broadband speeds Auckland does have a big roll-out of naked DSL though.
    Don't be moving out to the Bundu like wot we did!

Out here we don't even get VF 3G on the mobile, much less that there fancy cay-bull thing ya'll keep goin' aaan aboot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast