Thread: EOI - IT Qualification

Default EOI - IT Qualification

I am currently completing my EOI but I am unsure if my degree falls under the Long Term Skill Shortage List or Absolute Skills shortage. I have a Bsc (Hons) Business Information Technology. My university is on the recognised list but I want to know if my degree fulfills the criteria of;

Degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology AND three years of relevant work experience

Does Business IT count as "majoring" in information technology? I have the sufficient years of relevant work experience (8 years+). If so can I claim for both Long Term and Absolute Skills shortage? Thanks in advance.

The one that will do you the most good on the EOI is the LTSSL. It's good for bonus points. The ISSl is good IF you have a job offer, it entitles you to a work permit.
    From your description, it sounds like the LTSSL; if you are in a comparable labor market then you are entitled to education points plus bonus points.

Not sure about the level 7, it will most probably be, if it is three years and 100% if four years.

Regarding Informatio technology: Absolutely yes as your degree clearly states the word Information Technology, mine states as Information Syatems and Technology and NZIS were perfectly ok with that.

Thanks for the replies. The LTSSL sounds the best for my EOI. With regards to bonus points, how does this work? I have identified my most relevant work experience (3 years to present as Data Manager) as falling under the LTSSL category of 262111 DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR. Are points based on number of years of experience?

Just looking up this now.

Aparantly my MSc in E-Commerce Technical Stream does NOT qualify for bonus points on the LTSSL for being an IT qualification even though it does qualify for a qualification on the LTSSL on its own. The 10 docked points is killing me as it also docks another 10 points from an area of skills shortage. Thus my points are now at 95...!! AHHHH

Will a phone call sort this out or will I have to go through a NZQA even though the Masters is from a recognised University.

My experience was that NZIS apply the LOQEA quite rigidly, and refer to NZQA. I had two masters from a UK University, but as the list in force at the time had Batchelors degrees listed, but not masters, I was told I had to go via NZQA which is clearly bonkers as in my case I only needed the 50 points not any 'bonus' for a level 8 or 9.

So got my NZAQ report back today.
    My IT Degree has come back as Level 8 Honors Degree (480 credits). Thing is it doesnt mention anywhere that this is an IT related Degree which I need as this is the deal breaker.... Should it have mentioned this or does will INZ know this?

B.Sc in Software Development and Computer Networking isnt exactly a cooking course.

Also level 8...it says on the Shortage list that it must be a level 7 but Level 8 is better than level 7 right or will they find fault with that too??
    Seriously I wish this was simple!

Right this is utterly confusing and pointless IMO.

NZQA will not say that my degree is an IT degree but have awarded me a level 8 degree with honours. I know now that when I forward it to INZ they will just say "It is not an degree with a major in IT"...so what was the point of doing the NZQA then??? These are the guys who should be able to tell them that yes this degree is an IT degree but they refused saying that they cannot compare another degree with a specific NZ degree, which is a different question entirely....

Left hand..wake up to the right hand...