Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vimto Cordial and Pork Pie

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS
    Yuk - pork pies are one thing I don't miss. Those pics looked like really nasty cheap and processed food. Really horrid.
    As with everything there are pork pies and there are pork pies. You might have seen a picture of a pork pie, but I dream of sinking my teeth into a pork pie.

I was thinking of more "quality" produce like some of our great English cheeses, York hams, chutneys, black pudding, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, etc. etc.
    From a purely selfish point of view I say 'GO FOR IT' ..... I'd certainly be a customer.

Diny

Default english food

i do like english food, but quite why anyone would really hanker after english food when they've travelled 12000 miles is beyond me. Isn't that part of the whole experience, trying different things......i'm a bit baffled to be honest, some of the nicest food i've ever had was in nz, the produce can be great.
    Someone mentioned nz sausages, go in pak n save & find the little breakfast sausages, they're ace, best in nz i think.....i think they do 2 kinds, one are a bit plain, but one are bit spicy, the spicy ones are the good ones, all the others are pretty bad, we started off on those italian ones from woolworths, but they smell odd when you're cooking them, like cling film (or glad wrap if anyone's language is starting to change....og i hate those glad wrap adverts).

Default Re: english food

Quote Originally Posted by paulwardle
    i do like english food, but quite why anyone would really hanker after english food when they've travelled 12000 miles is beyond me.
    I agree...for the most part. And there's very little I miss. The produce here is amazing & I love it!!
    But that's not always the whole story.
    It's only natural to miss your home & countrymen/ladies (which I think, if we're honest, is why this forum has become a great place for us English to crack on together)...and along with that comes the whole food thing.

And cuisine defines a nation as much as the flag or their sporting prowess or any other facet you care to mention...and after a while here I would defy anyone not to hanker after a taste of home.

Just my 2c.

I gotta say though...the sausages suck big time. You're not gonna convert anyone there
    I really didn't appreciate the splendour that is a premium quality Butcher's sossy until I left England. Seems such an easy thing to get right too..but the French, The Germans (who should know better), the Italians AND the Kiwis , etc, etc. ALL get it sooo wrong! They do great sausages in their own right, don't get me wrong...but when they try to do a Banger..

Oh, the good old sausage debate - we've been here before (and didn't one couple leave partly because they couldn't find british food that they liked here in nz?!! :? )

Anyway - there are good, bad and darnright awful sausages to be had in the UK too... here we've found several brands that are really nice - just gotta get used to them, trial and error, you ain't in Kansas anymore

The great NZ sausage nightmare.

I'm sure if one had the inclination, a good NZ sausage 'may' be found. But sadly - due to an horrific experience (mother in laws cooking) I've been put off the NZ sausage for life.

She once served up these massive (and I mean REALLY thick) sausages that were all kind of grey and stank to high heaven. They were full of twangy bits of tube and lumps of rubber gristle. Jeeze ... even typing this my stomach is churning

Sadly this damaging experience has totally robbed me of the will to ever think about looking for a decent banger in NZ. Even my dear hubby - born and bred Kiwi - says that NZ sausages are '******* disgusting'.

but quite why anyone would really hanker after english food when they've travelled 12000 miles is beyond me. Isn't that part of the whole experience, trying different things......i'm a bit baffled to be honest, some of the nicest food i've ever had was in nz, the produce can be great.
    What on earth is wrong with hankering after a favourite food. It doesn't mean that we don't like the NZ grub, it just means that there's certain things which we love/loved to eat at home which aren't available in NZ.

'Nowt wrong wi' that laddy'

Diny

Default food

I just personally dont see the point thats all, my partner goes nuts for walkers cheese & onion crisps, but i dont care for anything from the uk......except maybe gravy in the fish & chip shops !!!!!!
    i prefer a lot of nz stuff to uk stuff to be honest, even the chocolate !!!!

all kind of grey and stank to high heaven. They were full of twangy bits of tube and lumps of rubber gristle
    Uh oh, up comes my dinner... that sounds gross....

Default Re: Pork Pies

Quote Originally Posted by Gran
    There are Pork Pies in NZ but I havent found a decent one yet. They are made of pickled pork, I would make one if I knew what flavourings to add.
    It's not much to go on I know, but Gary Rhodes does a wicked one. If I ever find the recipe again I'll let you know. They taste wonderfull, but are sooooo unhealthy it may put you off them for ever (assuming you could buy them, that is )

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Anyway - there are good, bad and darnright awful sausages to be had in the UK too... here we've found several brands that are really nice
    I was talking to a butcher from Chch who had spent several years plying his trade in the UK. He thought that many UK sausages were much better than the kiwi ones, and tried to introduce them to his shop in Chch - with little success. It seemed that most of his trade for them was limited to brits and other expats. He's since toned them down to a hybrid but they're still amongst the best we've found (although youngest daughter pronounces them 'too meaty' - a real sign she's settling in, if you ask me!).

BTW - be thankful that people do retain some of their native hankerings - it's precicesly for this reason that we now have such a spread of restaurants and ingredients available to us regardless of where we originate.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast