Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Vimto Cordial and Pork Pie

ebay - now I'm frightened to even look there, just in case I try to buy the lot

Whilst my father was clearing the kitchen after my mother passed away, he found loads of food (the tinned and dried stuff only though) that was up to 20 odd years out of date. Do you know what he did?

yes, he kept it all . . . . I kid you not.

He still offers us bottled fruits etc for pudding when we go to eat that are 'only' five or so years old. If it was good enough during the war, it's good enough for you now.

Emily

Talking of out of date food Emily - did you know that marmite NEVER goes out of date (according to a marmite manufacturing executive). Must be the high sodium content. Mine never lasts long enough to get anywhere near the sell by date.
    I think your Dad has a point about bottled fruit. On my clear out of food, I discovered an 8 year old bottle of blackcurrants and I would not think twice about eating them!

this thread has absolutely made my day.

There ARE in fact others like me out there..........in fact even better...are on their way HERE!

Yep Carol, we're on our way ....

The only problem is if MAF will let us in, regardless of our containers

Jennie, I know how you feel. Marmite in our house goes almost as quickly as toilet rolls. What's more, when I'm parent helper at pre-school, I'm known as 'the toast lady' and marmite is much, much more popular than the jam

I have no worries with eating tinned / bottled foods either, but Simon always checks what's on offer to eat before he accepts any pudding!!

Emily

I could actually claim to be (sort of) on the road to hoarding recovery. I've thrown out a few things that gave me an attack of the vapours as I dropped them into the bin.

A bag of jam jar lids.
    A bag of fluff from the tumble dryer filter (took me ages to save it up too).
    A pile about 6" high of the backs of old Christmas cards (kept for note paper and shopping lists)
    Several butter wrappers (saved in the fridge door - for putting over a chicken when roasting it)

Oh the list goes on. But even I had to stop and seriously question myself when I came across the long piece of surgical thread with a white bead on the end of it. It was the continuous stitch the doctor sewed me up with when I had Fergie by c.section 9 years ago. I threw it away ........ then when I was alone I retrieved it from the bin and secreted it away again in my jewelry box.

I don't know whether I'm being sentimental or downright perverse.

Diny

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    I don't know whether I'm being sentimental or downright perverse.
    I don't know Diny, but wherever you are, I'm there with you .

Emily

Diny - you don't keep umbilical cord stumps as well do you? I admit to keeping both pregnancy tests......

The tumble drier fluff made me laugh. I used to make handmade paper with leaves, seeds and shredded paper. I contemplated using fluff from the tumble drier until I examined it more closely :? :eek

you don't keep umbilical cord stumps as well do you
    No ... but I do still have the plastic clips that they use to put on the cord.

Diny

Not perverse then Diny - I have them and think that is quite normal! :mrgreen:

me too.

and the bands that went around their wrists.

and their first shoes and hats and I believe there is a box somewhere with "other" stuff.

Oh yes - and I do the tumble drier thing too!
    ops: ops: ops:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast