Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Vimto Cordial and Pork Pie

What a great start to a Saturday morning. Absolute confirmation that I have company in my madness. I also have (in case anyone is interested) a large piece of surgical steel that once held my femur together for a year or so!! You never know, it might come in handy sometime!!

Debs

Ahem......

Pork pies & Vimto anyone? :P

Actually I dont like Vimto, unless its the fizzy kind mixed with vodka.....

OK Dave K:

I find this thread really amusing as I find both Kiwi and British sausages and pies equally disgusting!
    The only pies I eat are homemade ones (and very rarely) because I just don't trust what's in them. Same goes for sausages. To me they just seem to consist of flour and gristle, and have absolutely no flavour. Yuck! :mrgreen:

Moore Wilson sell some reasonable ones (duck and venison sausages!) but I just can't bring myself to buy them more than once a year.

As to importing british foodstuffs though, it must be possible because there is a Dutch shop in Petone who sell everything Dutch you could possibly want. This includes low end cheap cr*p for not a whole lot more than in Holland.
    Apparantly the shipping isn't that expensive if you know how to go about it.

So what do I buy in that shop??? Liquorice ofcourse, dutch liquorice is very different that the english kind and a bit of an acquired taste, mayonaise, much nicer than the very vinegary local kind, peanut butter (Calve and Albert Hein for those in the know) and "vleeswaren": thinly sliced blackforest beef and ham from the german butcher in Tauranga which gets couriered in weekly.

I would be very happy to buy York ham though if anybody is game to bring it in!

Miep

Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    me too.

and the bands that went around their wrists.
    Guess what - I've even kept the pink and blue cardboard name bits that went into the incubators as well

Glad to know that I'm not alone

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    Oh gawd .... I feel a confession coming on.

The other day I went into Poundland and bought some platic bags.

Not just a couple ..... but 1000 of them on a roll. But what makes it even more pathetic .......... I bought 3 rolls.

I now have 3000 9" x 11" plastic bags on a roll (perforated of course) to take with me.

Don't ask me why ......... I have no logical answer to give.

Anybody remember years ago that case where Lady Isabel Barnett was caught shop lifting. In the end I think they put it down to some kind of dementia. Maybe that's what those of us who find ourselves doing this weird impulse buying have got ....... some kind of immigration induced dementia.

I'm still determined to slip my impressive collection of margarine tubs into the shipment but I face strong opposition at each attempt.

Diny
    Diny

that had me laughing my head off, I can see you now now 'Mark we'll leave the settee in the UK so I can fill the container with all the stuff I bought from poundland.

Oh BTW way everyone I've said this before:-

Sausages eeuughcchh 'Offal in a Condom'

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    me too.

and the bands that went around their wrists.

and their first shoes and hats and I believe there is a box somewhere with "other" stuff.

Oh yes - and I do the tumble drier thing too!
    ops: ops: ops:
    Oh Carol,

I think all mums must be the same, I have boxes and I boxes full of every creation they have ever done from drawings to all their school books, along with the wrist tabs and umbilical cords of course. And yes they will all be coming with me.

Jo

For my 21st B'day my parents presented me with 2 big scrapbooks - one was filled with EVERYTHING from the day I was born - all my hospital tags/birth details, the shilling my dad put in my hand as soon as I was born (which is now on a chain!), EVERYTHING including a curl of hair etc etc ALL the letters I wrote them from boarding school and all my school reports, brownie/girl guide badges, mothers day/xmas/birthday cards etc etc .. a real treasure trove.

The 2nd was a diary that they filled in each New Year from the year I was born, which included a pic of me and told that years story of my life.. my naughty deeds, my achievements, my illnesses, my hobbies, and other "funnies" and events.

I treasure them both dearly.

The only think I didn't get was my milk teeth which mum still keeps in her jewellry box!! :eek

Moorf

that is so lovely, I have locks of hair, their milk teeth, unless they swallow them of course :

I think I will do something like that.

Jo

It was the best birthday pressie EVER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast