Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kids traveling with just one parent

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default kids traveling with just one parent

Well, OH has an interview on thursday!! We're crossing our fingers for him and of course because of this, our minds are spinning with all that remains to be done and figuring out the details...

One major detail- there is a good possibility that OH will need to fly out before the rest of us (the kids are 9, 5, and 1 -- , lol). Usually when one parent travels with their children internationally, the other parent needs to sign some sort of documentation giving permission for the children to leave the country. However, because we are emigrating will this still be required? Or will our PR visas suffice as documentation?

I know some of you done this... any words of wisdom?

Very good luck to him for the interview.

probably showing evidence that he has already traveled will suffice!

OH flew ahead of me and our little ones, before I'd even booked any tickets for ourselves or packed up the home. Nothing was ever mentioned regarding travelling on my own with them. I think the only time permission would be required were if you and the children's father were not together/divorced.

My girls were 5, 4 and 23mths when I flew - and they were very good on the flight, thankfully. Air and ground crews were all fantastic too.

Good luck with the interview.

its possible that they would question it if the children have a different surname than the parent they are traveling with!

I've flown with DD minus hubby twice without a problem, but then we only went to France

You could always check with the airline, to be certain.

I flew out 4 months after my OH, with my then 3 year old son, and I have a different surname than my son, but no questions were asked!

In theory, you should have something to show that you can take them out of the country. In practice, we have never been asked, and we both have flown numerous times with various assortments of children. And not only with different last names, also with different nationalities , and no one batted an eyelid.

So yes, get him to sign something that he agrees for the children to leave the country, but I bet no one will ask.

Good luck for the interview,

Daniela

I borrowed some children of a friend a couple of times and took them abroad (on the airplane). Only once I was asked to show that I indeed had permission to take them anywhere (funnily enough this was on the way back....). Their mum was really organised and had given me a letter, so it was no problem at all. MInd you I was in no way a relationship to those children, so that could be the reason for them asking. Why not just get the letter, just in case? Won't hurt, and better be safe than sorry

Our kids have travelled with one parent or another (usually my OH) loads and loads of times and have never been asked anything. My OH even has a different nationality passport to the kids and still no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast