Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nvq 3 in early years assessed anyone ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default nvq 3 in early years assessed anyone ???

hi there, am in a pickle over getting my qualification assessed
    i have an nvq level 3 in early years care and education, this was almost exempt from being assessed but its relevent to a job on part a instead of b or c of the skilled occupations !!
    am just wondering if anyone has had this qual assessed before as i am unsure as to whether i should bother or not as if the assessment doesnt come back as a level 5 i cannot claim point anyway ? so thought i would see here first incase someone has already had this one assessed ( **fingers crossed hoping**)

i spoke to nzqa about how the pre assessment and if it came back as a level 4 , as its not a detailed assessment should i then still get the full done knowing the result could be the same ...$900 down the pan!!.... the answer was they may give you a higher result on the full assessment but cant guarantee !! lovely and cryptic answer ...

appreciate any help or advice

to anyone thats interested had the pre - assessment back on nvq and its a level 5!! over the moon ( as long as the full assessment is not different) so can claim points for it

That's fantastic!!

Good for you! It'll all work out in the end.

Hi. I just wondered if your full assessment had come back and what the outcome was.

hi, i haven't got the full assessment done, decided to keep hold of my money and wait an extra two months for the points to increase ( due to work experience being over 12 month in nz) and apply.. it was the same time to wait for a full assessment so we decided to wait and have the $700..

are you about to get your's checked?
    not sure about other people's experiences, but the pre- assessment are usually accurate

hope that helps

Hi Em

No I've got a BA in Early Years which has been assessed at level 7 so I'm good to go but I have a friend in the UK with a level 3 who was looking at her options and really wants to head NZ way so I really was just curious more than anything else thinking the info may be of help to her.

Also still very curious about levels and how they work out, it appears to be a riddle no one can crack. From my experiances It has always been that a NZ level is one about that of the UK. I have a NZ qualification which is bascally a first year at uni and they count that at level 5 so I was just interested to see how the NVQ's panned out.

Good luck with you application I hope it all works out for you. Are you working in Childcare in NZ?

hi ,

yeah its really tricky to suss out! all i can say is mine was a nvq level 3 in early years care and education with city and guilds and it came back on the pre-assessment as level 5 .. you're the first person i have heard of with being granted a level 7 .. so you should be able to work in a centre straight away i should imagine ?! lot's of people have been saying that there is nothing comparable to the ece qualification here and you will need to retrain .. so its good news for you .

The only option for me was to work in home-based care (child-minding) as to work in the centres they want ece qualified teachers, but a lot of centres will also take ece teachers in training .. in there 2nd or third year . I am looking at doing an rpl (recognition of prior learning) you go through a process with the uni pay $75 for it and they will take your qualification and experience into account and possibly take some time of the ece degree/diploma , you can be awarded up to 1 or 2 yrs off it .. so fingers crossed, as soon as i have residency then i will be able to go through this process and if i get accepted on the course with a yr or two off i already have a place in a centre .. but they want me to be on the course first.

good luck to yourself and your friend, if you need anything else just ask

emma

I was assessed at level 7 from NZQA
    The UK degree BA(Hons) Early Years Teaching or Education & Care is assessed as comparible and enables you to teach in Early Years in NZ, I am currently in the UK but have a job offer in a Kindergarten in NZ
    Because the degree is relatively new in UK I presume this is why people always say there is no Early Years recognised in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by slavvie View Post
    I was assessed at level 7 from NZQA
    The UK degree BA(Hons) Early Years Teaching or Education & Care is assessed as comparible and enables you to teach in Early Years in NZ, I am currently in the UK but have a job offer in a Kindergarten in NZ
    Because the degree is relatively new in UK I presume this is why people always say there is no Early Years recognised in NZ
    I think that's very much true. I know I was on the first ever year of my BA in Early Years. I also think that as most people in the UK have either a NVQ or a Foundation degree the teachers council say there's is no UK qualification so they are not flooded with applications which aren't up to standard meaning a lot of very disappointed people.

I did email Teach NZ the other day saying that their info was a little misleading and asking if maybe they could reword it saying some UK BA degrees are the equivalent but NVQ's are not. As I feel a lot of people may be put off even trying when they read on an official web site set up to help that there is no Qualification in the UK which will allow you to do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast