Thread: Anyone got any household goods in Auckland?

Default Anyone got any household goods in Auckland?

He all, we just arrived yesterday and are house hunting. We are looking to rent.

We really need anything householdy as we have nothing and cannot afford to fully kit out an unfurnished house.

Anyone in Auckland have anything from cutlery to sofas?

Anything appreciated and will collect.

thanks

Hi Jakarta

Not in Auckland, I'm afraid, so I can't help, but have you tried looking on Freecycle? If you are able to collect, you should be able to pick up a few things through there.

Salvation Army or other charity and second hand stores are great for second hand furniture, as well, if you aren't fussy about things being a little worn

Hi Toonster, thanks for this. I tried freecycle but they don't seem as generous over here as in the UK. They only give away real real tut. I say one person giving away 10L of used motor oil lol. Another person contacted me after I put a wanted ad and said they would SELL me some CHEAP knives!!! lol

Will try the salvation army next, thanks for that pointer. We just can't afford to furnish a house again from scratch with new kit.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jakarta View Post
    Another person contacted me after I put a wanted ad and said they would SELL me some CHEAP knives!!! lol
    Cheers
    Hmmm - you should be able to report them, in that case - you are not supposed to charge anything for Freecycle (though it depends on how heavily moderated the group is - there was someone giving away kittens on ours today, which was banned on the Bristol group)

I agree to the rubbish that is offered (though a surprising amount of it is taken, too!)

I presume you have tried Trademe, too - you might be able to pick something up cheaply there.

Hi Jakarta,

I am not sure that people here may give something good that they don't use. They may instead put in trademe.

When I arrived here several months ago, I only got few plates and 2 wooden chain for free. I believe you have to approach trademe or garage sale in this case.

Where do you live in Auckland?

trademe is definitely a better avenue for furniture, i have picked up about a dozen different things for just a dollar or 2 each including a tv and a tumble dryer. i think maybe some people don't realise that it would actually be cheaper to list it on freecycle (many of the dollar items the sellers dont actually want to charge you, they are just trying to get it taken away)
    specifically look at $1 reserve, items ending soon, and search for Moving overseas to find things going very cheap!

Have you tried the op shops? A lot of them have a good range of cheap household items.